Last Day Late Muzzy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last day for me to hunt this year so I headed out early to sit on the edge of a small patch of timber. Weather was not too bad, about 25*f with some snow on the ground and a very light west wind. A little tuff trying to be quiet sneaking up to my spot but I didn't hear anything snort off. I sat down and enjoyed the sunrise, it was very peaceful, with only a couple of woodpeckers beating against a few trees. I stayed in my spot for a couple of hours and decided to call it a morning.

Instead of heading to my vehicle, I decided to venture in the opposite direction to scope out some spots for next year. Lots of tracks in the snow but appeared to be a few days old. Well... time to make the long trek back to the van. As I was walking up to another small slice of timber, two deer bust out of a low spot. One runs to my left, with the smaller of the two heading to the right. The smaller deer didn't like being left alone so it stopped after a few paces and presented me with a perfect broadside 50 yard shot. I took it.

I knew I had hit the deer hard by the way it stumbled before bolting to the top of a small hill off to my right. It ran maybe 30 yards before stopping and falling over, out for the count from a double lung shot. I knew it was a smaller deer but didn't mind, it was my last time hunting and I love tasty, tender grilling meat, not tag soup. At least now I can hang a photo next to my kids' deer photos, they are going to make fun of me because its the smallest one this year but that's ok, I get to decide who hunts first next year :lol:

CVA Apex, 110gr BH209, 290gr Barnes TMZ, blood trail was excellent

:D

CONGRATS :!: I'm sure your going to enjoy that doe no matter what. Size don't mean very much in my book. We love the meat.
Enjoy that tender venison :!: :!: :!:

Ray......... :wink:

That deer there looks to me over 200 times bigger then an deer tag and a lot better to eat. Congratulations on last minute shopping. Boy them small ones are good to eat. Makes my mouth water just thinking of deer roasts with taters, onions and carrots... Oh my! :oops:

Makes my mouth water just thinking of deer roasts with taters, onions and carrots... Oh my!

Mine too! one of my favorite dishes is vegetable/venison soup with homemade bread bowls :D It really hits the spot on a cold wintery day.

We took 4 this year, down from previous years so we will run out come spring but that will make the onset of fall hunting even more exciting.

I love venison for most dishes like chili and stews. Its great for curry!!! I get a kick out of serving it to friends without telling them its deer. :D Most people never know if its prepared and butchered correctly. Steaks and roasts are usually stronger but i like the flavor of younger deer. It reminds me of domestic goat thats been grazing on grasses.

This year i did not add any pork to the burger and it turned out great. Sloppy Joes were perfect and super lean. Its easy enough to use some beef tallow or render down beef trimming if your recipe needs more fat.

Lipton onion burgers are another good way to sub in venison for "fussy" family members. :p
http://www.food.com/recipe/lipton-onion-burgers-297829

GM54-120 said:
Most people never know if its prepared and butchered correctly.

That's the ticket right there!

I know there are a LOT of veterans on this forum with LOTS and LOTS of collective knowledge so I put this out there for those who might be new to the idea of processing their own deer. I haven't taken my deer to a processor in years because they use high speed equipment like band saws that will spread tallow and bone marrow bits around your meat thereby giving it more of the "gamey" taste that folks complain about.

Here is a short video that shows just how easy it is to get great results from your own butchering. It is worth the effort for sure. Enjoy.

http://m.yourtube.com/watch?v=0p2t6AXeWxQ

Edited: sorry guys, I didn't know this was an ad for their DVD. I have the video saved. I'll upload it tomorrow. :oops:

As promised. Very helpful video - anyone can butcher their own deer with a little effort.

Sorry for the confusion.

Congrats! :applause: :applause:

Where I hunt in SW Iowa there was some loss off deer in 2012 to EHD. Did you see that in NW Iowa?

Back