Old TC Hawken Does It Again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKasprzak

Reaction score
Went out this morning about 8:00 am to scout around, wasn’t thinking I would really do any real hunting until this afternoon. I spotted a small group of 5 Axis feeding and was lucky on my part in that I was already partially downwind of them. The bad part was they were only 50 yards or so from me, I don’t know how they didn’t spot me. Fortunately, there was an old oak tree with some small scrub mesquite and cedar bushes around it between me and the deer. I got down on my hands and knees and begin to crawl REALLY SLOW towards the tree. Once I reached the tree I could see the deer about 20 yards away, but not clearly and didn’t feel comfortable with any shot I had from that position. Again, as slow as possible I moved about six feet to the left which gave me a clear shot at this deer, and the tree and bushes still had me sort of hidden from the rest of the group. I took the shot and the deer ran about 30 yards and fell. From the time I saw the group of deer until I shot was about 20 minutes. My load was 80 grains by volume of Goex 2F, an over powder wad lubed with TOTW Mink Oil and a TC Maxi Hunter 275 grain.

Sometimes luck smiles on you and that’s what happened this morning with the wind being from the right direction, and me being in the right place at the right time. Looking forward to some fine Axis eating from this one!

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpeg
    IMG_1271.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1270.jpeg
    IMG_1270.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 1
Congrats on the deer! How large do these Axis deer get? We don't see those critters up here. How do they compare taste-wise with a whitetail?

Went out this morning about 8:00 am to scout around, wasn’t thinking I would really do any real hunting until this afternoon. I spotted a small group of 5 Axis feeding and was lucky on my part in that I was already partially downwind of them. The bad part was they were only 50 yards or so from me, I don’t know how they didn’t spot me. Fortunately, there was an old oak tree with some small scrub mesquite and cedar bushes around it between me and the deer. I got down on my hands and knees and begin to crawl REALLY SLOW towards the tree. Once I reached the tree I could see the deer about 20 yards away, but not clearly and didn’t feel comfortable with any shot I had from that position. Again, as slow as possible I moved about six feet to the left which gave me a clear shot at this deer, and the tree and bushes still had me sort of hidden from the rest of the group. I took the shot and the deer ran about 30 yards and fell. From the time I saw the group of deer until I shot was about 20 minutes. My load was 80 grains by volume of Goex 2F, an over powder wad lubed with TOTW Mink Oil and a TC Maxi Hunter 275 grain.

Sometimes luck smiles on you and that’s what happened this morning with the wind being from the right direction, and me being in the right place at the right time. Looking forward to some fine Axis eating from this one!
Nice job with a beautiful rifle!!!! That young axis is gonna make some fine meals!!!!

Super. And nice stalk too. I'm curious though. Why didn't you shoot at 50 yards when you first saw them? I know my Hawken is easily capable of making that shot as well as me. I'm sure I would have muffed the stalk.

Back