lead thermometer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konnieblaze

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question. Ive recently just got into muzzleloading, and have cast a few bullets in my lee pot. From what I have read, I think my lead is too hot. Im getting a blue-green color on the top of my molten lead. Where can i get a decent thermometer? I live in Canada, so anything here would be great. Shipping is super expensive these days. Ive looked on Amazon, but they dont read high enough.
K

Last edited:
I don’t have any experience w/Canadian vendors for any shooting-related items, so “No Dog In Hunt.”

Here are a couple of options, from Google. I use one substantially similar to the RCBS one, shown. Mine has a different style clip, to keep the probe from being in contact with the bottom of the pot.
https://budgetshootersupply.ca/prod...ls-components-categories/casting-thermometer/
Here’s another view of that RCBS thermometer, directly from the RCBS page:
https://www.rcbs.com/specialty-items/lead-thermometer/16-81175.html
FWIW, Amazon.ca does appear to list the same thermometer, AND for $15 less than the first link:
https://www.amazon.ca/RCBS-81175-Le...ts&sprefix=casting+thermometer,aps,259&sr=1-4
If you want to go down a whole new rabbit hole on bullet casting, check out Cast Boolits .

Don’t breathe the lead fumes! 🤪

Last edited:
I cast at 800*f. I went a lot over board on my thermometer. I already had a Fluke brand temp meter. I bought a 700*celsius temp probe, thats almost 1300*f. Ive got a DIY digital controller that i still need to put together this winter for my pot. that will hold the lead temp much more accurately set without the wide swings that the original knob control gives. Is it that important to hold the temp that accurately? I doubt it, but i love to modify stuff and I can’t ‘not’ do it.

I was looking at the Lyman digital thermometer on Amazon. From the reviews it can be hit or miss. Anybody have experience with one? I think I will go with the standard one for $20 more.

This may be a dumb question. Ive recently just got into muzzleloading, and have cast a few bullets in my lee pot. From what I have read, I think my lead is too hot. Im getting a blue-green color on the top of my molten lead. Where can i get a decent thermometer? I live in Canada, so anything here would be great. Shipping is super expensive these days. Ive looked on Amazon, but they dont read high enough.
K

Don't get too axel wrapped about colors. All that the colors tell you is it is pure. As you can see in my pictures the colors come out quickly.
I really don't focus on an exact temperature. I want the puddle on top to remain liquid for several seconds. It can't remain liquid unless it's HOT!!
I add reclaimed lead shot to my pure lead to slightly harden it. Once my fresh hardness hits a certain point. I start to weigh them. I know that if I'm + - 1 grain from my target weight I know my mould is filling out completely.
I used to weigh and keep my target + - .3 grains. I switched to 1 grain and that didn't affect my accuracy at all.
I wouldn't worry about the exact temp.

Attachments

• 20210410_085058.jpg
    20210410_085058.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210410_091620.jpg
    20210410_091620.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210410_093724.jpg
    20210410_093724.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back