Lehigh 230g Prototype

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_2459.JPG

Tom sent these prototype bullet for us to look at. They are 0.451", and weigh 230 grain. They were shot into the stack of carpet, plywood, water jugs, and phone books on the back of the horse. Powder charge was 50 grain Blackhorn; the trap was out 25 yard.

Here is unfired bullet, and the fired bullet, which was found on the ground after bouncing off the fifth jug.

IMG_2460.JPG

Because these are 230g, 0.451 bullet, i assumed they were intended for use in a 45 acp. My intention was to use the pistol to shoot the bullet into the jugs. So i prepped some brass, and loaded one of the bullet. It seems to be some too long, and it bulged the case so much, it won't chamber in my pistol, so i ended up shooting the bullet using a muzzle loader.

IMG_2466.JPG

The photo shows the loaded bullet, in the bulged brass, next to a loaded 230g Gold Dot, which will chamber in the pistol.

IMG_2465.JPG

After testing these bullet for terminal performance, there were three left. This morning the intent was to test them for accuracy. There was quite a breeze, and i almost aborted. What i tried to do was trigger between gusts. The load was 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, crush rib sabot, W209 primer. For comparison purposes, three 300g XTP were shot below.

230gcontrolfracture.jpg

Back