Let's talk BINOS!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
I need/want a new pair of binos this year :oops:

Gotta be 8 x 42's.....

I have way too many guns to spend $1000 and up..... so with that in mind, give me some feed back as to what you all like, and why.

Really looking at these:

Monarchs
Burris Signature Select
Doctor Optics
Optolyth Alpens

Any suggestions???

I have the Monarch's and really like them for the money.... I wear glasses and they have lots of adjustment room to meet this need.

Leupold Wind River Mesas- Are an excellent choice if you dont mind Porro-Prism binos-

They are EXCELLENT for the $$$$$ and a good bit less $$ than most roof prism binos...

What exactly are you looking for? Roof-Prisms?

Doohan said:
Leupold Wind River Mesas- Are an excellent choice if you dont mind Porro-Prism binos-

They are EXCELLENT for the $$$$$ and a good bit less $$ than most roof prism binos...

What exactly are you looking for? Roof-Prisms?

Yah... 8)

my gut feeling says the Docter Optic line is pretty good. But I cannot say for sure.

I have handled some of the Leupolds out west and they did seam to be pretty nice. Did you rule out the Wind River Olympics or Pinnacles?

Have not seem them myself, but have read that Vortex Sidewinders are excellent. Maybe worth looking into.

I couldn't agree MORE! If looking for binocular value, you'll ALWAYS get more optics for the money with Porro-Prism binoculars.

Doohan said:

Another happy owner here..... :wink:

Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42
Bright and Clear
Long eye relief
Eyecups turn down. Good for those who wear glasses
Convenient shape
Reasonable price - about $300

If I lost mine - I would get the camo model instead of black.

charlie

Hey Spit,
Consider what you plan to use your binos for. For my style of hunting I find porros too heavy, even with a good neck strap. I tend to walk many miles per day and switched to roof prism binos about 10 years ago for the weight savings. They are Windriver 10X42s and I love them. If you are not walking alot and weight isn't a concern, porros would be the way to go, but if extra weight is a concern I would choose roof prism.

Thanks for all the help, guys :D

Cob.... that's some of the best pricing I've seen on Binos! thanks :D

Jim,

I've been thinking a little about this ( YIKES ! 8) ) You should really get a set of Leica Geovids and give us a full report! :shock: :lol:

Doohan said:
Jim,

I've been thinking a little about this ( YIKES ! 8) ) You should really get a set of Leica Geovids and give us a full report! :shock: :lol:

JJ...Please feel free to send me the money ....and I'll gladley produce the field report. :lol:

Seriously....I'm down to Doctor Optic, Burris Signature select, or Monarch ATB's. :roll:

Spitpatch said:
Seriously....I'm down to Doctor Optic, Burris Signature select, or Monarch ATB's.
I'm kinda liking those Monarch ATB 8x42's for $215 from the place that Corncob posted the link to. That sounds like a really great bino especially if you can purchase them for the price listed.

I was making the same decision last Dec. and I decided on the Pentax HD II's. I compaired them to the Monarch ATB, and I found them to be a little better. However you cannot go wrong with the ATB, and they are a little lighter, I believe. When I bought them, Cabela's had a $25 certificate with the Pentax and that made them a little cheaper. My Pentax is crystal clear and excellent in low light. However, they are a tad bit bulky, which for the quality I get for around $260 that is okay with me.

Rangefinder/binocs. ?

Anyone have a Binoc./rangefinder combo that they like? Bushnell and some others make them, but they don't seem to be popular. And maybe they are a bit pricy (gulp !), but then what isn't these days. Being on a fixed income, I have to watch my $$$$$ real close.

All opinions are appreciated,

Spit
From an ole Northerner who uses Bino's everyday. Leo wind rivers are hard to beat,I have Nikon's, Fujinon, and Bushnells nothing is close to the Wind Rivers, they don't fog up and work very well in low light.
Redclub

Latest posts

Back