Light loads for 30 06?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a 30 06 rifle. I have shot this caliber rifle in the past and the recoil was substantial! Especially when I loaded with 220 grain bullets!

I like this rifle and the 30 06 caliber. Does anyone have loading data for 30 06 that would have less recoil? I am more interested in target shooting for 100-200yards.

Those 220's pack a wallop on both ends. I'd load or shoot a reduced velocity 150 or maybe even a lighter bullet if all you want is a paper puncher. I shot 110 grain bullets in a pre-64 Model 70 for years. My 8 year old daughter could handle that recoil off a bench. I had to ding around with a couple powders to get the bullet accurate but once I found the sweet stuff it was a pet paper gun for years.

I would use Trail Boss propellant with a light weight bullet. Easy to use just fill the case with propellant, leaving room for the bullet.

Hodgdon's website or any reloading manual will provide reduced load data.

125 grain bullets are available for in .308. diameter.

If you're looking at a semi, it may not cycle with less gas.

Buddy needed some light youth loads for a nice vintage Husquavarna rifle he bought for his kid, during the 2020 ammo shortage

Bummed some dies and brass from a buddy and loaded up Speer 125gr TNTs with a charge of Win 748 a cluple of grains below published starting load

Recoil was mild and with no load development all involved were happy with the 2moa groups the kid was able to shoot at 100 yards and it performed just fine on a Florida 6 pointer

It looks like the military was scarfing up much of Trail Boss. I had no idea. I bought up a batch of like 5 pounds a few years ago and thus haven’t ordered more recently. Hodgdon has said they are still making it. It used to be IMR who came out with it first and they sold it to Hodgdon later. I was told that a couple of the propellant factories had burned down and maybe that affected production. But I don’t know. They are supposed to be shipping and selling new batches this year though.

I used Unique as a reduced load propellant as it is not position sensitive inside a cartridge case. That made reduced loads practical then. But heck even it is hard to find too. But there are some other propellants like it that would work as substitutes though.

Make sure the gun fits you as well as looking for reduced loads. A bad recoil pad or improper fit will substantially increase felt recoil.

I bought a 700 30-06 off a guy in high school, he had shortened the stock by an inch so it didn’t work well for my 6’4” frame. That gun barked as hard as anything I owned at the time.

Luckily I had a short armed brother in law needing a deer rifle.

Today, my well fitted 300 win mag with 180’s is a pussycat in comparison, and I don’t run muzzle brakes.

A 150gr or 175gr load should not be punishing you.

I have a chance to buy a 30 06 rifle. I have shot this caliber rifle in the past and the recoil was substantial! Especially when I loaded with 220 grain bullets!

I like this rifle and the 30 06 caliber. Does anyone have loading data for 30 06 that would have less recoil? I am more interested in target shooting for 100-200yards.
06 is a very versatile round. I shot it for many years in full bore competition. I think my winner was 165g spitzer. With 54 g 4831. (From memory). Along comes son's, daughter's, and grandchildren. Loads went down to 110 rn and back up again to 220g partition and a compressed powder load for my son's bear trips. Look at your energy calculations to decide on a bullet. No need to start heavy. Remember... You can only kill them dead!
Do your part with a solid rifle and that cartridge will not let you down. Shooting a rifle should not hurt you!

I have wanted a drilling for a very long time. I like 12ga and 30 06. I can take it anywhere and shoot about anything! Really versatile. So I got very lucky and blew a bankroll! Colt Sauer 3000

Attachments

• IMG_2052 (1).JPG
    IMG_2052 (1).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    813.8 KB · Views: 0
Well one could maybe use a magnetic mount. It depends on if it will fit ok or not.

Even the thought and mention of that hurt badly..........
Certainly mixed emotions, but here are a few drillings. These are up to over $12,000. There is a Claw mount that is quickly detachable. These are see-through mounts.

Attachments

• claw 1.jpeg
    claw 1.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 0
  • claw 2.jpg
    claw 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Claw mount see-through.jpg
    Claw mount see-through.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Claw mount.jpg
    Claw mount.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 0
  • img627-e1609678651956-1024x771.jpg
    img627-e1609678651956-1024x771.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 0
  • img847.jpg
    img847.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 0
  • J-P-SAUER-MODEL-3000-LUX-DRILLING_101008567_102453_115A1CC2745521FB.jpg
    J-P-SAUER-MODEL-3000-LUX-DRILLING_101008567_102453_115A1CC2745521FB.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • JP-SAUER-SIDELOCK-DRILLING-MADE-IN-1925-GAME-SCENE-ENGRAVING-16-16-8X58-SAUER_102185061_18376_...jpg
    JP-SAUER-SIDELOCK-DRILLING-MADE-IN-1925-GAME-SCENE-ENGRAVING-16-16-8X58-SAUER_102185061_18376_...jpg
    431 KB · Views: 0
  • Kreighoff-Trumpf-Primus-Drilling-Dural-Frame-Cal-16-16-7x57R-With-Scope_102573441_3038_44F7BF...jpeg
    Kreighoff-Trumpf-Primus-Drilling-Dural-Frame-Cal-16-16-7x57R-With-Scope_102573441_3038_44F7BF...jpeg
    603.8 KB · Views: 0
I have wanted a drilling for a very long time. I like 12ga and 30 06. I can take it anywhere and shoot about anything! Really versatile. So I got very lucky and blew a bankroll! Colt Sauer 3000
These are very nice rifles. I will tell you that they are intended to be set up with a particular load (bullet weight), and that’s what you shoot in it. That’s the way the Germans set them up. Your sights are likely set up for a 180 grain bullet, but you’ll have to shoot it to confirm.

Remember, with these rifles, there is a very thin .30 barrel (think barrel liner) soft soldered to a double barrel shotgun.

The more you shoot them (without allowing the barrel to cool to ambient temperature) the more the impact will “walk”, and your group will grow.

These guns are made to be fired from a cold barrel, to put the one shot in the same place. German gunmakers put more value in a hunting rifle that places a single shot from a cold barrel into the same place than overall group size.

If you try to compare this rifle with a bolt action rifle, you will only disappoint yourself.

These are very nice rifles. I will tell you that they are intended to be set up with a particular load (bullet weight), and that’s what you shoot in it. That’s the way the Germans set them up. Your sights are likely set up for a 180 grain bullet, but you’ll have to shoot it to confirm.

Remember, with these rifles, there is a very thin .30 barrel (think barrel liner) soft soldered to a double barrel shotgun.

The more you shoot them (without allowing the barrel to cool to ambient temperature) the more the impact will “walk”, and your group will grow.

These guns are made to be fired from a cold barrel, to put the one shot in the same place. German gunmakers put more value in a hunting rifle that places a single shot from a cold barrel into the same place than overall group size.

If you try to compare this rifle with a bolt action rifle, you will only disappoint yourself.
Never heard this before. There are multiple range tests showing groups from a drilling. Perhaps they let it cool to ambient temperature?

Will research this. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I think my factory sights are set for 100yds w/180 grain

Never heard this before. There are multiple range tests showing groups from a drilling. Perhaps they let it cool to ambient temperature?

Will research this. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I think my factory sights are set for 100yds w/180 grain
My experience is that the “walking” of the bullet impact is driven at least partially by the “intensity” of the cartridge. My 8x57jr is much less impacted than my 7x57r. I suspect your 30-06 will be less forgiving yet. My 8mm will put 3 shots in an inch @ 100 with irons, with no deliberate cooling period between shots. The 7mm will do almost that well, but I must let it cool between shots.

Latest posts

Back