Little .45 Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I ended up with this Lyman mold recently from a friend that didn’t use it anymore, it is a .45 ACP bullet, Measures .535 long and tips the Scale at 188 Grains :lol: The Little bullet dropped just barely over .452, I lubed and ran them through my .452 sizer. I’m gonna try these little fellas in my 1:30 Twist Green Mountain LRH, I’m thinking 50 to 60 Grains of Swiss 3F, Should be a fun little bullet to shoot :yeah: This will be the lightest bullet i have ever tried in my 30 Twist. The mold was plenty cheap enough to Move along if this doesn’t Pan out

4MWV0qD.jpg

Well now, that bullet is 60 grains (i.e. 47%) heavier than the 128 grain .440 lead balls used in .45 caliber long rifles, and 11 grains heavier than the .490 balls used in .50 caliber guns.

There's been an awful lot of deer killed with balls out of .45 and .50 caliber guns. So if it shoots well you'll have a mighty cheap, effective, and light recoiling option.

Looks similar to a "ballete".

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I’m loaded for Bear! :D I just loaded my rifle, these little bullets (My 40:1 Alloy) hold the bore good n tight :yeah: No way these would ever back off the Powder. I went with 50 Grains of Swiss 3F, I will probably take my Chronograph along to Check Velocity. I plan to shoot these first thing in the morning if weather permits, I Figure I’ll try these at 75 yards or so this first outing

This little 1/2” .45 ACP Bullet will most definitely shoot in my 1:30 Twist .45 Cal Muzzleloader :yeah: I would not Hesitate 1 second to deer hunt with these. I put My fouler shot in a Hard Dead Snag/Tree about 8” in Diameter, it’s Dry and HARD. I have pounded several 50 and 54s in this same dead tree, Not 1 single shot has Exited, they stay in there! This little 188 Grain .45 bullet Blew straight through and kept going (i heard it hit limbs 20-30 yards after exiting!) Penetration from these smaller faster bullets is AMAZING!

I decided against taking my Chronograph and messing with setting it up this morning (Wish now i had taken it) I will take it next time for sure. Target was right at 70 Yards from my Muzzle, my first 3 shots were SUPER TIGHT, my 4th shot was just out, a little low, Then my 4th shot blew it! I knew the shot was bad when i pulled the trigger, it didn’t feel right, And it was the lowest shot in the Black. These little bullets shoot DARN GOOD!!

My rifle, Again the Target is right at 70 Yards from the Muzzle

My first 3 shots, my powder charge was 50 Grains by Weight of Swiss 3F, and a .45 Cal Oxyoke brand 1/8” Wool Felt OP Wad

My last 2 Shots, the lowest shot was definitely my fault

Attachments

• 08FA74AC-6D90-4329-A37B-B0EFF96464AE.jpeg
    08FA74AC-6D90-4329-A37B-B0EFF96464AE.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 34EB7F41-8893-4979-B683-886281F795CB.jpeg
    34EB7F41-8893-4979-B683-886281F795CB.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 309
  • EB2BD49D-3CA3-423F-BD55-9F5EB2567B41.jpeg
    EB2BD49D-3CA3-423F-BD55-9F5EB2567B41.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 309
Dang Lewis, that looks mighty good.

Now I'm sitting here at my PC (in my underwear) thinking "I know I have a couple of hundred 200 grain semi-wadcutter bullets somewhere out in the garage that I bought years ago to reload for my .45 ACP". I need to put on some pants and see if I can find them.

How hard was it to run yours through the sizing die? I have no idea how hard the bullets I have are.

Did you use a wad under the bullet?

Semisane said:
Dang Lewis, that looks mighty good.

Now I'm sitting here at my PC (in my underwear) thinking "I know I have a couple of hundred 200 grain semi-wadcutter bullets somewhere out in the garage that I bought years ago to reload for my .45 ACP". I need to put on some pants and see if I can find them. How hard was it to run yours through the sizing die?

Semi, they were Effortless to size them, They dropped from the mold at just barely over .452, All i was doing by running them through my .451.75-.452 was perfecting the lube in the grooves, they just barely kissed the walls of the Sizer, i could see each band was shiny from the sizer, But I didn’t feel any resistance. These little things shoot!! And with SERIOUS AUTHORITY! Recoil was Comical :D Just barely bumped the Shoulder, it reminded me of shooting my .36 Seneca with 130 Grain Maxi balls. Give em a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised :yeah: These didn’t even need sized, at just barely over .452 they would have been perfect to just lube and load, but since i have the Sizer i went ahead, Just to get the lube perfect in the Grooves

This is why I love the 45's. You don't need no 50cal Magnums! LOL These 45 cal ML's can take more than Squirrels!!! Little, Private joke between us OLD DWB's and me.

Nice shooting Lew! I love to see how they perform on deer. Plus it would be fantastic bullet to get kids started in shooting ML's or for that matter any rifle.

edmehlig said:
This is why I love the 45's. You don't need no 50cal Magnums! LOL These 45 cal ML's can take more than Squirrels!!! Little, Private joke between us OLD DWB's and me.

Nice shooting Lew! I love to see how they perform on deer. Plus it would be fantastic bullet to get kids started in shooting ML's or for that matter any rifle.

This Blued 1:30 Twist GM LRH .45 Cal is my PET and definitely gets most of my attention :yeah: What an awesome shooting little barrel! I have now shot everything from a 1/2” long 188 Grains, to nearly 1.5” Long and 540 Grains in this Rifle, So far i have NOT found a bullet it won’t shoot Good, Some not quite as good as others, But never horrible. I can honestly say i have never had a bad outing with this barrel. If you ever have a chance to own 1 of these, GET IT! I would go with the Blued Version if i had the Choice, The Stainless GM LRH barrels are AWESOME Durable, Easy to clean, Nothing compares to them in that Dept. But they are FINICKY barrels. Not just my .50, But Idahoron’s Stainless Barrels are the EXACT same way, The Stainless barrels will NOT shoot soft lead bullets worth a Darn for whatever reason??? My .50 Won't, I have talked Fairly extensively about this with Idahoron and he told me that his Stainless barrels are the exact same way, They ABSOLUTELY require a little harder bullet in order to perform at their best. Odd?? And Frustrating to me! My Blued barrels are not like that, they will shoot either or equally well, the only thing I notice that changes is the POI

Forum member, and Good friend Harleysboss is gonna come stay for a few days soon and shoot Muzzleloaders with me, he has a twin barrel to mine, Even the Same Front Globe on it I believe? I am hoping it will Plug right on my Stock, He has had some issues with getting his to shoot as well as mine, He has had some really good outings with it, and a few that weren’t great, But not really Horrible either. I’m thinking barrel to Stock fit is off? Wedge Key to loose/tight? I’m hoping i can pin it down. It’s also possible that he’s just a Pi$$ poor Shot? :lol: I have a WIDE array of bullets layed out to try in his Barrel, I’ll bet i can get it to shoot just like mine, My circle inserts, My Targets etc.

Harleysboss said:
Poor Shot INDEED! :yeah:

No worries HB, i got ya covered :yeah: I picked up some Cardboard over at the Sears Store for Long Range Targets, Close to a Sheet of Plywood in Size, I’m confident you can hit it :poke:

Harleysboss said:
Oh Heck Ya I will be able to hit that...Keep it up and your precious 45 barrel will get a "slight" bend in it while I'm there. :mrgreen:

:lol: We will have a fun shoot! A trip to BACO will likely be in store for powder :D Looking forward to visiting with ya :yeah:

Back