Long shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not a ML... but I thought you LR guys might appreciate this.

Last weekend a buddy brought his friend up to our hunting cabin who is a very good competitive long range CF shooter. He has won quite a bit is my understanding. Anyhow, he brought his .50 BMG and .338 Lapua. He had the goal of shooting a doe at super long range.
Apparently where he hunts he has taken them just over 800yd pretty regularly, but doesn't really have an area to shoot that is open enough to shoot much further. Our place has spots well over a mile, probably mile and half or more between mountains.

Anyhow, it was quite windy... they saw quite a few deer and he shot a good bit that day from about 700 to much further with no luck. He came real close a couple times, and as the day wound down... he spotted a group of does way out there on this knob. He dialed in his .50 on one and shot and was left about 8ft. 2nd shot, left about 3-4ft. Third shot... kersplat! 1625 yards! :shock: :shock: :applause: :applause:

I didn't see him make the shot, but my buddy who was spotting for him told me all about it. He said even the shooter couldn't believe he made that shot, especially with the wind. Said it was at least 15mph, probably more. Wish I had seen it firsthand. He said his goal was to sometime in his life take a deer at a mile, well he dang near did it. :D

All I can say is.... :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Not my style, but I did wonder, what's left of a deer shot with a .50 BMG and was it hard to recover where it was shot?

Rio said:
Not my style, but I did wonder, what's left of a deer shot with a .50 BMG and was it hard to recover where it was shot?

Not really my thing either, but certainly impressive. I wish I could do that at 400. If you could see from where he shot - to where the deer was... absolutely amazing.

Ironically, it wasn't even dead when they got to it. He hit it a little back, paralyzed it so it was right there. Hard to believe.

I wonder what the fps & energy is at that range? I don't even know what them bullet weigh. Big.

I've always thought a Long Range HP rifle set up to shoot well at 1000 is like shooting a LR-ML well at 1/3 that distance.
I agree 1600 is a LOOONG way. But, at what point (he'd already missed some at 700+) would the guy think the conditions were not for taking such a shot (maybe these rifles are new to him, which make it even worse, either way: ethics?).
I'll take the guy who makes a kill with 1 shot at 1/2 that distance as a marksman.

52Bore said:
I've always thought a Long Range HP rifle set up to shoot well at 1000 is like shooting a LR-ML well at 1/3 that distance.
I agree 1600 is a LOOONG way. But, at what point (he'd already missed some at 700+) would the guy think the conditions were not for taking such a shot (maybe these rifles are new to him, which make it even worse, either way: ethics?).
I'll take the guy who makes a kill with 1 shot at 1/2 that distance as a marksman.

52 I agree with you, certainly not ideal. He's definitely not new, I guess he just wanted to see if he could do it. IDK.
I have groundhog hunted on windy days before, and it was a heck of a challenge to even get close. The wind was definitely gusting pretty hard at times, so even a closer shot was a challenge.

I am all for long range shooting and long range hunting but anyone who shoots at deer as if they are some kind of practice target gets zero respect from me . I think what he did is reprehensible . He should get a life like deer target and shoot at it instead of a live animal . A live animal deserves more respect than that . I wont even get started on what i think about the whole thing .

1874sharpsshooter said:
I am all for long range shooting and long range hunting but anyone who shoots at deer as if they are some kind of practice target gets zero respect from me . I think what he did is reprehensible . He should get a life like deer target and shoot at it instead of a live animal . A live animal deserves more respect than that . I wont even get started on what i think about the whole thing .

I hear ya 1874.

Personally, I'm not shooting at deer ever unless I feel relatively certain I can make the shot. I'm not taking his side, just figured I'd share the shot. Thankfully, all his other shots were clean misses, and he got that one that he did hit.

Back