Look What Followed Me Home!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stopped by the Gun Works Muzzle Loading Emporium today and couldn’t find anything calling my name, at least not until I was ready to leave.

I have an older Scoped CVA Eclipse Inline that has a ring of rust in the breech. I brought it in to get some advice on how to get rid of it, the ring not the gun. It makes cleaning while shooting difficult as it “grabs” the patches.

I’m mostly a Traditional Side-lock shooter, starting with Percussions in the 80s and adding Flintlocks a couple of years ago. I bought the CVA from Gun Broker because I’m a Certified Muzzle Loader Instructor and I need all three ignition systems to teach the class properly. I don’t think I paid more than $125 shipped. I took it out for the first time a few months back. Then it came time to clean it. I needed a Special Tool to take out the #11 nipple and Breech Plug. That’s when I discovered what the cleaning patch problem was.

Fast forward to today and they had a near-new Traditions Buckstalker with a 3x9 BDC scope. It’s marked as such but came with the T-Handle and the finger removable “Accelerator” Breech Plug, making it an XT. My guess is they had some older receivers and used them up on the first XT models. This one uses 209 Primers so it’s not legal here in Oregon for Muzzle Loader season. That’s why the previous owner got rid of it. I have side-locks for that. However, I have more components for this gun than I do rifle cartridges. If I don’t pull an ML tag, I could use this for regular rifle season!

I haven’t had much experience with Inlines, but my buddy has. I have nothing against them and don’t understand with our dwindling numbers how some Muzzle Loader clubs ban them. If it loads from the muzzle, it’s a fricking Muzzle Loader! Anyone that’s read Ned Robert’s “The Muzzle Loading Cap-lock Rifle” knows those Target Shooters in the mid to late 1800s used anything that came along to improve both ignition and accuracy. They started with a device similar to a Flintlock Pan charger that would put the finer powder in the nipple then switched to rifle primers later on using a device similar to the Mag-Spark.

Well, enough of my ramblings. I joined this Forum so I could learn more from folks who shoot these regularly.

Thanks!

Walt

Attachments

• 20230204_171241.jpg
    20230204_171241.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230204_171255.jpg
    20230204_171255.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230204_171307.jpg
    20230204_171307.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 3
I stopped by the Gun Works Muzzle Loading Emporium today and couldn’t find anything calling my name, at least not until I was ready to leave.

I have an older Scoped CVA Eclipse Inline that has a ring of rust in the breech. I brought it in to get some advice on how to get rid of it, the ring not the gun. It makes cleaning while shooting difficult as it “grabs” the patches.

I’m mostly a Traditional Side-lock shooter, starting with Percussions in the 80s and adding Flintlocks a couple of years ago. I bought the CVA from Gun Broker because I’m a Certified Muzzle Loader Instructor and I need all three ignition systems to teach the class properly. I don’t think I paid more than $125 shipped. I took it out for the first time a few months back. Then it came time to clean it. I needed a Special Tool to take out the #11 nipple and Breech Plug. That’s when I discovered what the cleaning patch problem was.

Fast forward to today and they had a near-new Traditions Buckstalker with a 3x9 BDC scope. It’s marked as such but came with the T-Handle and the finger removable “Accelerator” Breech Plug, making it an XT. My guess is they had some older receivers and used them up on the first XT models. This one uses 209 Primers so it’s not legal here in Oregon for Muzzle Loader season. That’s why the previous owner got rid of it. I have side-locks for that. However, I have more components for this gun than I do rifle cartridges. If I don’t pull an ML tag, I could use this for regular rifle season!

I haven’t had much experience with Inlines, but my buddy has. I have nothing against them and don’t understand with our dwindling numbers how some Muzzle Loader clubs ban them. If it loads from the muzzle, it’s a fricking Muzzle Loader! Anyone that’s read Ned Robert’s “The Muzzle Loading Cap-lock Rifle” knows those Target Shooters in the mid to late 1800s used anything that came along to improve both ignition and accuracy. They started with a device similar to a Flintlock Pan charger that would put the finer powder in the nipple then switched to rifle primers later on using a device similar to the Mag-Spark.

Well, enough of my ramblings. I joined this Forum so I could learn more from folks who shoot these regularly.

Thanks!

Walt
:2cool:

Been awhile since I bought something new to shoot. Gettin' the itch though. A new or different smoker in my cabinet doesn't collect dust.
Have fun working-up a hunting load!

What's up with the rear scope ring gap? Much larger than the front if my eyes are not playing games.

I’ve never heard of the muzzle loading emporium, but I’m not too awful far from Springfield. I’ll have to stop in there and see what they have for inlines

Good post. I did not pick up on the ring deal till I expanded pic. That`s why I mount my own optics. Enjoy your new muzzleloader.

Back