looking for an shotgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey0127781

Reaction score
looking for an 12 ga,

looking at
mossburg
remington

there the only ones that make something in my price range.

always the used market. Im getting ready to refinish the stock on my h&r 20g single shot.

i'll see what the gun shop has later this week and get back to you. I think he had an NEF but it may have been a .410

looking for an multi shot, 3 to 5 shot

had an h&r 12ga, plans on using for deer, turkey, and boar when i go to FL.

I can understand your wanting a multi shot. Since I started muzzleloading with the Apex, I have a strong desire to get the 12 ga. turkey barrel for the Apex. I plan on using it for turkey and getting a modified choke for dove. Where I hunt for dove, if you don't have a retriever you need to shoot singles and mark where they fall to find them, so a single shot should work out well for me.

I have figured out how much I want to spend $275 is my cut off limit, figured that is about the most I can save up for.

right now an mossburg is leading my chooses.

handled both an remington and an mossburg,

the remington 870 seemed to have an noisy action, it was used.

the mossburg, seemed an lot smoother and lot less noisy.

Them are both good guns and ive killed many deer with them. Ive never had a noisy action 870 though.

Stick with Mossburg - Remington is currently having serious factory issues. In fact, since their group bought Marlin, they have really screwed up Marlins. In fact, the Marlin plant has chosen to pretty much shut down for the next 4-12 months until they can work the quality control bugs out.

+1 having had experience with a Remington 870 Super Magnum Express as well as having several friends that have bought the same gun, and only 1 of them has worked correctly out of the box, I'd recommend staying away from it unless you want to do some work on it right out of the box, or send it to Remington and wait months.

The only Remington 870 I'd be able to recommend to anyone would be an older Wingmaster, but I think it would be hard to find one for that price.

The Mossberg would be my choice. You can get a nice Mossberg for that price. Another option is the Mossberg Maverick they sell at Walmart for $187. While it's not the fanciest gun out there, it seems to be a good shotgun for the price from the reviews it gets.

I have a Marlin 94 pistol grip 44mag you cant find those anymore not in 44 but looking at the new RemMars I couldn't believe it, saw marks in the stock where it fits the frame. I would stick to the Moss. I have the 535 with vent rib and rifled slug barrels. Another fun toy I have is a Baikal over and under 3006 12ga. combo back when I had good eyes that was a blast bird hunting. :D

i am going to be back into the shotgun hunt once everything is settled with the house. more of home defense now.

hometheaterman said:
+1 having had experience with a Remington 870 Super Magnum Express as well as having several friends that have bought the same gun, and only 1 of them has worked correctly out of the box, I'd recommend staying away from it unless you want to do some work on it right out of the box, or send it to Remington and wait months.

The only Remington 870 I'd be able to recommend to anyone would be an older Wingmaster, but I think it would be hard to find one for that price.

The Mossberg would be my choice. You can get a nice Mossberg for that price. Another option is the Mossberg Maverick they sell at Walmart for $187. While it's not the fanciest gun out there, it seems to be a good shotgun for the price from the reviews it gets.
I have a mossberg 535 pump rifled barrel and turkey barrel. The mossberg 535 combo`s for turkey and deer can not be beat. Maverick 88 also will work. It is interchanageable with mossy 500 barrels, so you can pick up a rifled barrel for cheap. Looked for used mossy 500 combo, sure you find a used one for under 300.

Back