lube for autos

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardesa

Reaction score
What kind of lube do you guys recommend for a Browning semi auto rifle? I have heard they are a little fussy about what oil you use on them. I have a few guns but have never had an auto and all of a sudden I have two of them.
Thanks for any help here.

I use two products that I like really well. First, if it's available in your area...Super Quick Clean Guns, made here in Michigan. Fantastic do all product that works really well & second Birchwood Casey Barricade.

I use Shooter's Choice All Weather High-Tech Gun Grease and highly recommend it.

I grew up hunting with automatic rifles and shotguns as my father perferred them. I hunted and still own a Browning Auto Light 12 (nothing light about it) shotgun, and a Remington Woodsmater Carbine Semi Automatic 30-06, a Chinese 7.62x39mm SKS, and I also have been shooting a Sig Sauer 522 Semi Auto .22 rifle. I clean them well with a good solvent. And then I use BreakFree CLP in a very small amount on the bolts and slides. I never had a feeding or extracting problem yet. And I have hunted and shot those weapons in all kinds of weather and climates.

Now I have an old high school buddy I used to hunt with. He shoots a Browning semi automatic rifle in 7mm mag. I think its called a BAR but don't quote me. And all he uses is a Silicone dust on his bolt. He said he had some feeding problems one winter deer hunting. He went to that and never had another problem. And I have shot that rifle.. what a nice rifle to shoot. Accurate, powerful, and just a sweet rifle.

Thanks for all the info guys, and cayuga it is a Browning BRA that I am working with and I have shot this gun years ago and it does shoot very nice it is a 3006 and I never thought it would be mine and I dont like how I got it but it is a very nice gun. I also got a browning SA 22 in the same condition, but I lost a friend at the same time, so they are special guns to me.

Have you found that BAR to be cartridge brand fussy? The reason I ask is, he always shot Remington Core Lok cartridges. He refused to use any other kind of cartridge. But never would explain why. He used to kid me because in my Ruger I used Winchester Silver Tip or the Federal Premium Cartridges.

Good question cayuga, I havent had the gun long enought to know what it likes and not even sure what the other owner was using but I do think he used a lot of Remington in his guns. I too use Remington in my 308 and Federal in my 243,but I also load most of my amo and use a lot of Remington brass, or Winchester, sort of a what I can get when I need it the last while. That is something to keep in mind thought and see what it likes for sure, thanks for the heads up.

Cayuga went to the range yesterday and took the BAR along and shot a few rounds through it, strange thing I had Federal amo and I didnt have very good luck with it, sort of shooting all over the place so either amo or the scope is shot. I know the scope isnt great but will try some Remington before I try ant thing else.
Just wanted to let you know , will keep you posted.

Back