Lyman Super Moly Bore Cream

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
Just got some of this from Midway, it is like JBs bore paste but I guess it has moly in it. Anyone ever used it?

Never tried it. I'm pretty much an anti-moly person. I DO use JB from time to time. Good stuff!

Rifleman said:
No way Josea, moly is bad stuff for barrels.

Ok, please explain :?: . I've been using moly coated bullets in my 22-250 to save me some cleaning with the copper fouling.

RAF said:
:?: why? I'd like to know

Here's MY problems with moly......
1. Moly is a complete UNKNOWN. One never knows how much is actually THERE. There is no way to return a barrel to EXACTLY the same moly-ness after cleaning.
2. I can't tell WHAT I'm cleaning. When cleaning, moly comes out FOREVER. Hard to tell if it's powder residue, copper, or moly but trust me it is moly.
3. After prolonged shooting without cleaning moly will begin to build up/cake inside the barrel.
4. There is growing evidence that moly contributes to corrosion in stainless steel barrels.
5. No reason TO shoot it to overcome the reasons NOT to shoot it...

4. There is growing evidence that moly contributes to corrosion in stainless steel barrels.

Not only that but it actually pits barrels both blue and stainless.

I used moly coated bullets when I was younger and did not research enough on them. One of the biggest regrets I have had in reloading, all of the same issues that you guys have covered.

Ouch, dont tell me that. I just ran that stuff through my bore, 3 patches about 40 strokes each and finished with clean ones until they came out clean. What have I done? Time will tell I reckon.

When I was done, I cleaned the gun with Hoppes 9 and Barnes CR 10 then a patch of Breakfree. How does it pit the bore?

MQ32shooter said:
Ouch, dont tell me that. I just ran that stuff through my bore, 3 patches about 40 strokes each and finished with clean ones until they came out clean. What have I done? Time will tell I reckon.

This has me wondering too. Been using moly coated bullets for years in my 22-250. Seemed like a good alternative to all the copper disolving solutions I used to get the copper fouling out. After shooting, bring the rifle home and clean with cleaning solvent. Looked down the barrell and everything seems fine. Now you've got me wondering

MQ32shooter said:

Brownells recommends (This worked for me.):

?A winning combination among many moly shooters is Kroil and J-B Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound. Nothing seems to get under and loosen moly quite like Kroil. It penetrates deep to loosen and lift it from the bore surface. J-B gently removes the remaining moly and attacks caked-on copper build-up. For routine cleaning of moly-treated barrels, pass a couple patches of Kroil through the bore followed by several dry patches. Resume with a couple patches soaked with your favorite copper solvent. Let soak for approximately ten minutes and proceed with two or three dry patches. Short stoke J-B about ten times through the bore, followed by two patches of Kroil. Finish by pushing dry patches through the bore until they appear clean and dry.?

Another point why do not use moly expressed by owner of North Folk bullet company:

?I have experimented with moly and found it to be of no benefit. It will reduce pressure and velocity which, in order to get the velocity back up, requires an increase in powder charge. When the charge is increased enough to get the pressure back to normal, the velocity is back up to where you started??

Back