MagnetoSpeed Ballistic Chronographs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfox

Reaction score
Does anyone use or have any knowledge of these new chronographs. They look interesting where they don't require sunlight, and attach directly to the muzzle. In my circumstance, my range is pretty much shaded. A bit pricey is my only concern..
http://www.magnetospeed.com/pages/rifles

No, i cannot say i have tried the magneto speed. However, your comment about sunlight caught my attention. Them standard chronograph don't require sunshine. Actually, sunshine causes issues with accuracy. Chronographs with sky screens work best on cloudy days, or if a sunny day, they work best in the shade. The glint of sun light off bullets causes them standard chronograph to be inaccurate.

The magneto speed has many advantages. A key advantage is they will work accurately in bright sunshine, whereas the standard chrony or whatever, won't. Another advantage with the new style adjustable magneto speed clamp, sabots won't make a false reading, nor do they smuck the instrument. If i were without a clock, and looking, i would probably look real real close, at the magneto speed; i like the idea.

ronlaughlin said:
No, i cannot say i have tried the magneto speed. However, your comment about sunlight caught my attention. Them standard chronograph don't require sunshine. Actually, sunshine causes issues with accuracy. Chronographs with sky screens work best on cloudy days, or if a sunny day, they work best in the shade. The glint of sun light off bullets causes them standard chronograph to be inaccurate.

The magneto speed has many advantages. A key advantage is they will work accurately in bright sunshine, whereas the standard chrony or whatever, won't. Another advantage with the new style adjustable magneto speed clamp, sabots won't make a false reading, nor do they smuck the instrument. If i were without a clock, and looking, i would probably look real real close, at the magneto speed; i like the idea.

Thanks Ron for your input. I checked with the company as to using these on muzzleloaders, and got this reply:
"As far as the muzzleloaders, we've done some testing and didn't have an issue. I got really good readings without damage during an afternoon of shooting with an inline model as well. The real test will be from extended real world use with our customers and their feedback.
We do have a 30 day money back guarantee, and also a 2 year manufacturer warranty, so if it doesn't meet your expectations we can always make things right for you."

Although I don't consider "an afternoon of shooting" extensive testing with a muzzleloader, they do have great reviews on their product with a good warranty. Going to do a little more research before getting one...

AJ said:
Look down about 8 threads.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22500

Are you still happy with it AJ? Talking with the company, they say the V2 has a 1" bigger blast area which should help muzzleloaders even more. They are out of the V2's, but expect more by the end of the month..

Yes sir. I have not shot many sabots over the machine but it did read the speeds just fine. I work up a load and once I am happy with it, I then check the speed for a few shots to get the numbers. I don't use the MagnetoSpeed for every shot even on modern guns. If I were buying a new one, I would probably go with the V2. I like the enhancements they added.

I currently own 3 chronographs, a Oehler 35P, CED Millenium, and a MagnetoSpeed. I feel the MagnetoSpeed is just as accurate as the others. I don't have to figure out the true muzzle velocity by the distance the screens are from the muzzle, the MagnetoSpeed tells me what MV is. Blast does not affect it at all. Nor does direct sunlight. I like it.

AJ said:
Yes sir. I have not shot many sabots over the machine but it did read the speeds just fine. I work up a load and once I am happy with it, I then check the speed for a few shots to get the numbers. I don't use the MagnetoSpeed for every shot even on modern guns. If I were buying a new one, I would probably go with the V2. I like the enhancements they added.

I currently own 3 chronographs, a Oehler 35P, CED Millenium, and a MagnetoSpeed. I feel the MagnetoSpeed is just as accurate as the others. I don't have to figure out the true muzzle velocity by the distance the screens are from the muzzle, the MagnetoSpeed tells me what MV is. Blast does not affect it at all. Nor does direct sunlight. I like it.
Thank you sir! :wink: I believe you have convinced me to give it a try. Thanks for your input AJ ..

Latest posts

Back