Maker Bullets (100% copper)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve talked to the owner some. I told him I was specifically concerned about whether I could size them or. It. He said he didn’t think they would size very well but told me that if I couldn’t them to shoot like I wanted to let him know and he would make a batch for whatever size I wanted. Didn’t sound like there was an additional cost associated with it. I plan to mess with them some this summer.
That story matches with multiple other stories I’ve read about the owner. Very helpful and willing to go the extra mile to make sure customers are getting good results with his product. I think that goes a long way in this day and age. Share your results this summer!

Would be nice if they showed the profile of all their bullets and not just the expanded bullets. The 250gr would be a lower recoil than a 275 barnes in my sml's if they have enough bearing surface.
Agreed! According to Maker’s website, the 250gr are 1.3” long, whereas the Barnes 275gr are 1.03”. I can’t imagine them not having enough with that length, but like you said, it’d be nice to see pics just to know. There is also a ballistic tipped version of the 250gr that is supposed to be 1.4”, but the BC (.18) is listed as the same as the non-tipped. Doesn’t make much sense. Confusion abounds!
Edit: Re-reading and realized I gave a bunch of info here that BuckDoeHunter already had given previous. Sorry for repeating!

Last edited:
Had me going for a minute. But the 275gr is stated at .451 in specs, same as Barnes, as well as a low BCE 1.8 (doesn't seem right).Twist is 1:24 or faster.
The 350gr looked interesting at .452 but that's a long bullet at 1.382", twist at 1:16. The website does say not intended to expand in wet newspaper, expand hitting soft tissue (water) but for penetration of hard objects. Not sure if that's desirable. Like to see range report and price on custom bullets.
Guess I'll keep looking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200218-095632.png
    Screenshot_20200218-095632.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 11
I wonder if the 275 grain looks like this?
https://www.steinelammo.com/product/452-250-grain-copper-hollow-points-20/

Lots of good youtube videos on loaded ammo. I'm not sure about the 3 petal design, I wonder if it would be more prone to tumbling? or would they all shear off at close range?
The picture of an expaded one looks like that 3 petal could really do a bunch of ripping going thru . If it did fracture all 3 theyd be heavier id say . If 1 or 2 fractured i think it would tumble . Petals look long too . Id think some coyote huntin would tell alot . Thats good for everything !!! The Pheasants , deer , and bullet testing !!!

Last edited:
The picture of an expaded one looks like that 3 petal could really do a bunch of ripping going thru . If it did fracture all 3 theyd be heavier id say . If 1 or 2 fractured i think it would tumble . Petals look long too . Id think some coyote huntin would tell alot . Thats good for everything !!! The Pheasants , deer , and bullet testing !!!
For a hollow point i think i remember that .150 or smaller doesnt kill the bc . G1 bc is all about ogjive first then bearing surface helps to make it better . Boattail is only a factor at extreme long range if much at all for me . I personally dont care for boattails even with my 300 win mag @ 5 to 600yds hunting distance . Thats the only long range gun i got atm thats easy to find them for . The 22-250 dont need them either .

Last edited:
Had me going for a minute. But the 275gr is stated at .451 in specs, same as Barnes, as well as a low BCE 1.8 (doesn't seem right).Twist is 1:24 or faster.
The 350gr looked interesting at .452 but that's a long bullet at 1.382", twist at 1:16. The website does say not intended to expand in wet newspaper, expand hitting soft tissue (water) but for penetration of hard objects. Not sure if that's desirable. Like to see range report and price on custom bullets.
Guess I'll keep looking.
Well, after putting multiple Maker bullets (.451 in 250gr tipped and non, 275gr, and the 328gr muzzleloader specific) into a stabilization calculator, the results don’t look good (using 1:28”). Even trying to push them hard didn’t make too much difference in the numbers. I’ll still be testing them when I receive them nonetheless. I suppose if the first couple go through paper sideways, it might be a short test. I’ll send them to one of you that have a faster twist barrel at that point.
As far as desirable performance, as long as they’ll fly, I think they will do exactly what you’d want a bullet to do. I’m not shooting at deer through drywall or anything, but it sounds like they’d be perfect for that scenario. Lol But seriously, I’m assuming they’d behave just like a Barnes bullet but are supposed to open reliably at much lower velocities.

Well, after putting multiple Maker bullets (.451 in 250gr tipped and non, 275gr, and the 328gr muzzleloader specific) into a stabilization calculator, the results don’t look good (using 1:28”). Even trying to push them hard didn’t make too much difference in the numbers. I’ll still be testing them when I receive them nonetheless. I suppose if the first couple go through paper sideways, it might be a short test. I’ll send them to one of you that have a faster twist barrel at that point.
As far as desirable performance, as long as they’ll fly, I think they will do exactly what you’d want a bullet to do. I’m not shooting at deer through drywall or anything, but it sounds like they’d be perfect for that scenario. Lol But seriously, I’m assuming they’d behave just like a Barnes bullet but are supposed to open reliably at much lower velocities.
Anybody know how long a 600gr 50cal conical is ?? They are said to stabilize in a 1 in 28 rifle .

If they don't shoot good, I'll buy some from you, I'm always on the lookout for 'new to me' copper bullets. I'd try them in my 1:20 twist smokeless muzzleloaders.

*** double post, sorry, not sure why ***

Last edited:
If they don't shoot good, I'll buy some from you, I'm always on the lookout for 'new to me' copper bullets. I'd try them in my 1:20 twist smokeless muzzleloaders.

My last experience with CNC bullets didn't go well but that's why I like to experiment
260 grain .458 CEB Maximus at 100yds, annealed then Full formed, 45 cal SML, 2650 fps
0m8SeAW.jpg
ynkocbD.jpg

Christmas came early! Or something like that. Lol Package was waiting on the porch this afternoon. Ordered 3 different items from Maker a week ago today and 2 of the 3, if not all 3, were listed as backordered. But they are all here today. And for the one that matters here - a very welcomed surprise: the .451 275 gr REX measures 1.01” according to my cheap calipers (and reads .45 diameter, so calipers are accurate), not the 1.41” listed on the website. Looks promising! They have 6 relief cuts instead of the 3 I’ve seen in pics and videos, but don’t know if that will matter too much either way. Hopefully hit the range this weekend with nice weather in the forecast.AB01589C-463E-4A15-8BD0-FE95CBABA962.jpeg230E658D-D48C-4979-8A75-922408A521E5.jpegDDFD3E2B-EB77-43A0-9D83-030B4ABEEEA8.jpeg

Christmas came early! Or something like that. Lol Package was waiting on the porch this afternoon. Ordered 3 different items from Maker a week ago today and 2 of the 3, if not all 3, were listed as backordered. But they are all here today. And for the one that matters here - a very welcomed surprise: the .451 275 gr REX measures 1.01” according to my cheap calipers (and reads .45 diameter, so calipers are accurate), not the 1.41” listed on the website. Looks promising! They have 6 relief cuts instead of the 3 I’ve seen in pics and videos, but don’t know if that will matter too much either way. Hopefully hit the range this weekend with nice weather in the forecast.View attachment 7593View attachment 7594View attachment 7595
Looking forward to range reports !!!

Surface texture looks rough like a Barnes bullet, CNC machined?

Definitely smoother than the Barnes, but not what I’d call a “machined finish”. I would attribute that to the shipping - loose in a plastic box with plenty of room to bounce around with no foam or padding. Here’s a side by side of the 275gr Maker REX and a 300gr Barnes ExpanderMZ
32CEE63B-F31D-4723-B3F5-FA4A85B5DFE5.jpeg8EF686B1-A6D4-40A6-A35F-F77512E4CD9D.jpegBC5BC6FE-DBE2-45E6-961A-978E5FDAF9CC.jpeg

Had a small window of down time today to do a little shooting. So far so good! Three shot group with my usual load of 90gr (by volume) of BH209. I had done a few sabot test fits previously and had the best feel (as far as resistance) with the MMP HPH/24.
8F1BDFBD-6AAE-4EC4-AC61-3690F120A85F.jpeg
2.89” and no signs of any trouble flying true. Not amazing, but for the first 3 shots, I think it might be something to keep working on. Didn’t have time to do more testing with 95-110gr BH209 or other sabots, but I did send one into some ballistic gel.

80gr (vol) of BH209 at 25 yards (to hopefully be able to compare with Ron L’s extensive tests). 19.75” of penetration into 10% gel (but not calibrated with BB). The three diameter measurements, tip to tip, are 1.19”,1.20”, and 1.19”.
2FCFB9F4-8F34-46A1-9AFD-CAA50BB2999B.jpeg
85DB2FAC-6E5E-4BD9-B7B7-0F4C26CA38D4.jpeg
C107E02A-1EAE-4180-816A-72BAC8853FFE.jpeg

I plan on testing these further with 50gr for a low velocity test, as well as 110gr to see if it’ll hold together. To be continued

Last edited:
Back