Making the leap into bullet casting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadeuses

Reaction score
Ok, this is really outside my comfort zone in regards to bullet making.

As a newby to the world of muzzle loading AND casting, and driven by the inability to acquire supplies easily North of 49, I purchased two Lee bullet molds for my TC Hawken .50 cal rifle. What I bought was single RB .495 and single RB .498 molds that I will try in this rifle. Please note that this rifle has never been fired before.

What I have learned reading the posts on this forum is that the .495 prb will probably have it's best accuracy using a .010 patch. Or at least that is my understanding. I don't have a clue what patch to use with the .498 prb.

Do any of you more experienced shooters out there have a suggestion regarding patch thickness for that one? My guess is use the same .010 patch, provided I can get it to go down the barrel. Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

Cheers :partyman:

Cadeuses

I don’t know much about Roundball, I’ve never heard any mention of a .498 Ball? I would think that would have to be for a .508 to .510 Bore? Hopefully someone else with more Knowledge in Patched Roundball will pop on here with advice, i am curious myself

Could it be put down the barrel just greased, like a R.E.A.L. or mini ball? Does it need a patch at all?

Cadeuses said:
Could it be put down the barrel just greased, like a R.E.A.L. or mini ball? Does it need a patch at all?

You will have to use some kind of patch or the ball will roll back n forth in the barrel. You always wanna make sure that the projectile is seated firmly on the powder, shooting a bullet or a ball that is off the powder could result in a ‘Rung’ barrel, Or a lot worse!

I cast .490 balls for the 50 cal T C and use pillow ticking patch.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

This all refers to the .498 RB:

So here you said it would be tight, too tight actually.

Idaholewis said:
admiral said:
you will have to pound that .498" PRB down the barrel on a T/C

I agree! A BIG Hammer, and plenty of ambition :D I wouldn’t attempt it

and here: you say it will roll back and forth in the barrel.

Idaholewis said:
Cadeuses said:

You will have to use some kind of patch or the ball will roll back n forth in the barrel. You always wanna make sure that the projectile is seated firmly on the powder, shooting a bullet or a ball that is off the powder could result in a ‘Rung’ barrel, Or a lot worse!

So is it too tight, or not tight enough? Are you saying it would be too tight with a patch and too loose without one? I'm just trying to understand what you are advising, so I don't damage me, the rifle, or anyone else nearby.

Cadeuses

Pretty sure what is meant is that un-patched the .498 will be too loose in the barrel and with a patch it will then be too tight.

Then too you have to think about patch thickness since not all patching material is the same thickness....can change things a lot if you're using random patches and or bulk material. Some guys will literally take micrometers to fabric stores to measure the materials they use.

I always used the .495 balls in my hawken rifle with store bought patches and re-bought those of the same brand and size.

Cadeuses said:
This all refers to the .498 RB:

So here you said it would be tight, too tight actually.

Idaholewis said:
admiral said:
you will have to pound that .498" PRB down the barrel on a T/C

I agree! A BIG Hammer, and plenty of ambition :D I wouldn’t attempt it

and here: you say it will roll back and forth in the barrel.

Idaholewis said:
Cadeuses said:

So is it too tight, or not tight enough? Are you saying it would be too tight with a patch and too loose without one? I'm just trying to understand what you are advising, so I don't damage me, the rifle, or anyone else nearby.

Cadeuses

An unpatched .498 Roundball would be loose in a .499-.501 Bore, it would roll down the barrel :D From my VERY little experience in Patched Roundball it seems that the most common patch thicknesses are 0.015 to 0.018, But i have heard of all different sizes, With either of these patches i just mentioned and a .498 ball good luck getting them down a .499-.501 bore! Of course that is if your bore is .499-.501? I used these numbers as they are common .50 Caliber Muzzleloader bores. In other words your .498 Ball would end up at .513 with the 0.015 patch, and .516 with the 0.018 patch, .513 or .516 is NOT gonna be a fun trip down a .499-.501 Bore! Most guys i hear talking about Patched Roundball in their .50 Cals are using a .490 ball, and some use a .495 ball, If your rifle is a white with a .504 Bore then the .498 ball would probably be just fine

Like i said my experience with Patched Roundball is VERY limited, Sorry I can’t be of more help. If you Ditch them Roundballs and go to bullets i can MUCH better help ya :yeah:

Idaholewis said:
If you Ditch them Roundballs and go to bullets i can MUCH better help ya :yeah:

Ok Lewis, what do you recommend. I have been looking for a mold but because there is a large choice of them, I'm uncertain which would be the best option to try in my TC Hawken with 1:48 twist.

Cadeuses

Cadeuses said:
Idaholewis said:
If you Ditch them Roundballs and go to bullets i can MUCH better help ya :yeah:

Ok Lewis, what do you recommend. I have been looking for a mold but because there is a large choice of them, I'm uncertain which would be the best option to try in my TC Hawken with 1:48 twist.

Cadeuses

Cadeuses, Most folks i hear talking about Roundball in .50 Cal seem to favor the .490 Ball, But again my experience with Roundball is VERY minimal, I prefer bullets. If Recoil is an issue to you, Roundball will likely be a better choice since they are lighter, they obviously kick less than a much Heavier bullet

As far as bullets go, I absolutely swear by the Lyman Plains bullet, i own that Mold in both .50, and .54 Cal, They have Shot spectacular in both Stock 1:48 Twist, and My Fast 1:28, and 1:32 twist barrels. I have even sized them WAY down and Paper Patched them, They shoot EXCELLENT that way also! I have a bunch of Custom bullet molds that i had made to my specs, The Lyman Plains bullet takes a backseat to NONE of them! I highly recommend it :yeah:

Thanks for the recommendation Lewis. I will look for that mould.

Cadeuses

rangerod said:
I have the Lyman Plains bullet mold ordered from midsouth shooters supply for $69.29 arriving today.

Rant On:

Ok, now I'm envious of you rangerod. I thought we had free-trade still. Apparently not when it comes to anything gun related.

The hard part for me is finding a retailer who will ship to Canada. So far, none. In the area I'm in North of 49, there are no hunting or BP suppliers to buy from. We have places like Canadian Tire who cater to the usual smokeless crowd and carry the usual big sellers in rifles, bullets and limited levels of accessories, but it's near impossible to obtain anything to do with BP. And there isn't a BP club around either.

I haven't given up though. That's why I have bought these bullet molds on GB so I can at least make my own. Rant Off.

UPDATE

I have bought the Lee Pro 4-20 Melting Pot to get me started with casting my own bullets. With that I ordered a Lee ladle which on first inspection seems rather small, but I will give it a go. Hope to learn both methods: ladle pour and bottom pour.

I haven't received my bullet molds yet, so I'm on hold for them. In the meantime I have taken the time to clean out the pot itself with spray brake cleaner which I trust has removed any of the manufacturing oils present on the pot.

So that's where I'm at to date. Before I make my first pot of molten lead I will be buying an ingot mold, heavy duty welders gloves and perhaps a high-temp apron of some type. I already have safety glasses and protective boots, so I'm good there.

Can't wait to do my first batch of roll-your-own bullets. Cheers!

Cadeuses :partyman:

rangerod said:
I have the Lyman Plains bullet mold ordered from midsouth shooters supply for $69.29 arriving today.

Midsouth is usually the lowest price on Lyman Molds i have seen, My complaint with them is their shipping rates, They are the highest I’ve seen. You would think a 7.20 Flat Rate Box for a bullet mold would be MORE than sufficient? But for some reason Midsouth is almost double that? At least to ship here to North Idaho. I absolutely disagree with profit shipping

Cadeuses said:
^^^^What Idaholewis said^^^^ X2

Idaholewis said:
I absolutely disagree with profit shipping

It’s a bummer when a Co. does that, i have abandoned many online shopping Carts over ridiculous shipping prices and gone elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back