Mange on a squirrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I had a squirrel working a bird feeder this morning that appeared to have topical mange, not the viral stuff that leaves bloody sores all over an animal. No less, said squirrel got put down and disposed of. Neighbors have dogs that like to chase squirrels and why chance the dog getting the disease by contact. I'd hatre to see it get spread thru the neighborhood.

A month ago, I was up and out of the house early and saw one of our urban coyotes that definitely had viral mange. Bloody sores and scabby bald areas over about 2/3 of its body, so I'm sure mother nature has taken care of it by now.

We haven't had what one would call a real winter here so I am curious why the critters are getting stressed with this stuff. Usually a long hard winter brings this stuff to light.

I killed a fox squirrel several years ago that was covered in mange. He was in the top of a hickory tree cutting nuts. Only time I had seen it in squirrels in 50 years of hunting them.

I'm right in the heart of town toytruck and squirrels are everywhere. Killa few, another dozen move right in. This is maybe the 4th or 5th squirrel I've eliminated with mange in maybe that many years.

Latest posts

Back