Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I saw a very good movie last night that had an unusual costar, a Marlin 1895 Big Bore. The movie is "Wind River" and depicts a government hunter on the Shoshone-Arapaho reservation in Wyoming. Many things in the movie were spot-on with one scene showing the star reloading his .45-70? cartridges.

70478_1895SBL_Right.png

It even shows footage of an actual coyote kill and is not anti-hunting at all. The only thing that bothered me was why someone would use a .45-70 for coyote hunting? It is his primary weapon and is depicted as if the rifle is a sniper rifle. 

Rent the movie, you won't be disappointed.  :Red tup:  Tony will like it for sure.

the reason he used a 45/70 on coyotes was he is loading a bullet less that 400 grains and copper clad. he is loading it hot and only(i think) carrying one rifle with him on his snowmobile. i wouldnt be surprised the bullet goes 2200 ft per sec. he also meets bears in that country, very big ones. ive seen that movie 3 times. i live a short couple hour drive from their, been their a few times. did you also the notice the large deer herd in the way background at the end of the movie. good trout fishing around their also. theirs only one thing wrong with that area, lots of west nile virus around their and it is the worst of the worst strain. wear your repelent if you go their. that strain kills fast than other strains of west nile. if my wife got a really good job offer over their we would move their with out reservations. the reservation is a lot cleaner and in better shape than pine ridge.

Also, he is left-handed and the Marlin ejects to the right. I don't think they ever show him shooting and ejecting the shell while prone.

If I were a government hunter, my primary weapon would be a bolt-action .338-06. 180 gr. for the coyotes, cougars and wolves and a 250 gr. Nosler partition for the occasional big bear. It certainly would not be a .45-70.

Great movie, also liked the part where he is shooting thru the trailer walls and the impact on the fellas he shoots would be pretty darn realistic I think. I have a marlin guide gun, first year they made them, with ported barrel. I have taken several deer, a bear and a elk with this gun, out to 200 yds with my handloads, the 405 grains load aint far behind a .458 win mag, and will step you back a step when fired off hand, but is very accurate! I have the elk I shot videoed, and when the bullet impacts right behind the shoulder blade, it blows a halo of dirt off the bull all the way around him!!

Wind River most certainly was a great movie.  Jeremy Renner's use of the Marlin was one of the first things that caught my eye; he's an awesome actor, too.  And yep, big bears call for big guns.  My choice, however, might be a Win .338 mag on the heavy side and a .350 Rem mag on the light side.  Own both, killed deer with both, handloaded both and seriously like both.  Still, I wouldn't dismiss that 45/70 out of hand.

for me i like the gun he used, a 35 wheelen would also be another good choise. where i work out, thier is a law inforcement officer who has about the same job in the black hills as the movie guy. i dont know what kind of rifle he carries on his snowmobile but he says he also carries 3 hand guns on his snowmobile. never too much fire power when you meet the bad guys. no bears in the black hills but over loaded with mountain lions. also druggies, they are every wheres as well  as those who take game out of season. i want to say something nice about skoger here also. him and i took a drive into the black hills when he was here hunting. ive never seen a hunter with eyes like sam. when we went through the black hills, they are really mountains, he saw every critter we passed no matter how far they were up the mountain. nothing can get past sam. never saw a deer dressed out as fast as he does it as well as phesants. my son learned alot from him. he gave my son a good knife which he uses every season. good memories sam. oh, yes we got lost coming back home. darn near ended up in wyoming. saw some country i never saw before.

rebs said:
what year was this movie ? Netflix has 2 with the same itle
The movie "The Mountain Men" was originally called "Wind River", all their promotion was ready to be released and at the last minute it was changed because of a 1941 movie had already used that name. 

Now it seems Hollywood or whoever just names them, doesn't matter if there were other releases ????

I to saw the movie recently, and did enjoy it. I see it is loosely based on an actual event. I did note the Marlin, seemed to be pretty tricked up with a large scope etc.  I imagine you need use enough gun to clobber bruin. Our Koala bears down under can be pretty tricky ! ;)

I did like that movie and it also just so happens I have this very same rifle on the way to my local gun shop. That will make the 3rd 1895 Big Bore in my safe. An old Guide Gun (ported barrel, one of the first in production) and a Cowboy edition. I also have a 336 in 35 Rem and a 1894 in .357.

bronko22000 said:
I did like that movie and it also just so happens I have this very same rifle on the way to my local gun shop. That will make the 3rd 1895 Big Bore in my safe.  An old Guide Gun (ported barrel, one of the first in production) and a Cowboy edition.  I also have a 336 in 35 Rem and a 1894 in .357.  
Well I'm in the process of filing charges against Polite Firearms (AKA: Kirk Lumetta, Amite, LA) from Armslist.com.  I sent him payment and he never sent the rifle to my FFL!  I even have an acknowledgement email that he received the money order and the FFL.  I contacted my local police who is attempting to reach him and if not call the police down in Amite, LA.  I also filed a complaint with the USPS Investigative Service because he used the interned and mail for a scam.  I'm hoping I at least get my money back. But I'd much rather prefer the rifle.

Latest posts

Back