Mason jars ain't always for iced tea!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
I cut 500 patches at a time; pillow ticking type and big enough such that I can cut at the muzzle! When patches are somewhat 'de-oiled' the thickness is around .018" and work really great in my .50 and .54 caliber ML. I use plain old Canola oil and it works just fine! Don't know for certain but I might patch wetter than most folks!

35004737632_39d7a54575_n.jpg
Canola oil patches by Sharps Man, on Flickr

28439704306_5750a8c97d_n.jpg
PRB by Sharps Man, on Flickr

:Salute:

Just curious Sharpsman.....Do you press the patches out or how do you somewhat 'de-oiled' the Canola oil before using?

While on the subject of jars and patches, I basically do the same with cleaning patches.
20170803_101558.jpg

Above is a 3" diameter jar with pre-cut square cleaning patches.  For BH209, I just dribble Hoppe's No. 9 into the jar until all the patches are soaked.  This makes cleaning intervals at the range a lot easier. :)

Smokin' Joe said:
Just curious Sharpsman.....Do you press the patches out or how do you somewhat 'de-oiled' the Canola oil before using?
Hold on and I'll show you!

36307431266_cc99745af9.jpg
Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

I lay whatever I want amount of on bottom board....put the other board atop and just back up a bit an voila....pat with a Scott towel and ready to use!

Sharpsman said:
I cut 500 patches at a time; pillow ticking type and big enough such that I can cut at the muzzle! When patches are somewhat 'de-oiled' the thickness is around .018" and work really great in my .50 and .54 caliber ML. I use plain old Canola oil and it works just fine! Don't know for certain but I might patch wetter than most folks!

35004737632_39d7a54575_n.jpg
Canola oil patches by Sharps Man, on Flickr

28439704306_5750a8c97d_n.jpg
PRB by Sharps Man, on Flickr

:Salute:
all is good until it falls on the concrete and breaks,  i use plastic cases to hold my lubed patches.

Good ideas guys, anything that you have to soak always looks neat in Mason jars. I get caught once in a while when stealing a few of the wife's jars for different projects. Now I'll have to swipe a few more for cleaning and shooting patches. :roll:   ;)

Back