Metrics Unlimited plugs?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
I'm having a .50 Huntsman barrel from H-R fitted to a SB2 frame. Sent the frame off yesterday (before anyone tells me they are discontinued, well H-R does in fact have a few, CS just does not know it!). I've heard about this Metrics Unlimited plug that supposedly just about cures the blowback problems. Is this really true? Are the plugs safe? Where are they made (I hope USA)? Any help would be appreciated!

They are as good as slicedbread.they are the only breach plug for nef muzzle loaders that work with bh209 that I know. Nick Allen makes them in Michigan.I just bought a spare.

I don't use BH209. I'm assuming that I can use Pyro pellets and loose Pyro and loose Goex like I normally do in muzzleloaders? No one sells the BH209 in my locale.

Works for pellets just fine,I have not tried Goex but i have used Swiss and no issues at all..The latest one made has a little more meat on the head then the first version.I can post information later with address.

you won't be upset,thats for sure.

Steve

That plug makes the Huntsman a real sweet rifle. It solves the blowback and even with the normal subs it is way superior to the standard plug. It is easier to remove with normal tools also. My Huntsman with the MU plug the brass aftermarket ramrod is my first or second best muzzleloader. Just beat out slightly by the White Ultramag.

Thanks guys. I will be buying the Hubbard rod as well. I need to wait until I receive the Huntsman barrel to see what size plug it has before buying.

JimG said:
Thanks guys. I will be buying the Hubbard rod as well. I need to wait until I receive the Huntsman barrel to see what size plug it has before buying.

Here is a pic of the new and old plug. If you do a search for "carrierless breech plug" on here you can get more information. Unless they dug up some barrels from 2002-2004, all the Huntsman/Sidekick barres since 2005 are 5/8" breech plug.

Old 5/8" on left, new 5/8" on right.
003-2.jpg

Here is the 7/8" plugs for the older 2002-2004 Huntsman and 2004 Sidekick.
027.jpg

txhunter58 said:
Is the Metrics unlimited plug workable for a NEF sidekick to use BH 209? Does anyone have a link to order such a plug?

I think I may be qualified to answer that question, since I was the BH209 crash test dummy with this plug. And that answer would be ABSOLUTELY! Just make sure you use a #60 o-ring for best results in the bottom of the primer pocket. They used to ship with two o-rings to get you started, and they last around 40-50 shots before they wash out to the point of having to replace them. I buy the o-rings at McMaster-Carr in 100 count packs for a couple bucks, so one 2 cent o-ring for every range session is pretty cheap shooting as compared to the expensive leaky plastic orange primer carriers that are NOT reliable with BH209.

If you do a search of carrierless 209 breech plug, you should be able to find some of my posting about this breech plug. This would be late 2008, early 2009 time frame.

Just make sure you determine which plug you need, the 5/8" or 7/8" from the pics I posted above. The 2002-2004 Huntsman and 2004 (first year Sidekick) uses the 7/8", all 2005 and later Huntsmans/Sidekicks use the 5/8".

I just learned last week that Nick no longer works at Metrics Unlimited. I don't know the details, but nick is a Custom Knife Maker as well, and I have seen several of his knives. Nick spearheaded this breech plug design and developement. He did adopt a couple of my suggestions, but this was his baby. The good news is that Metrics Unlimited still sells the breech plugs, and had both in stock for sale as of last week. I don't know if they will continue to sell them beyond current stock, so if you have been on the fence, you might want to get one while the getting is good. IIRC she told me that the price is now $33 shipped, and priceless if you want to shoot Blackhorn 209 in an H&R/NEF Huntsman or Sidekick.

1-800-638-7986 Monday thru Friday for Metrics Unlimited.

sbuff said:
Its the only plug that will ignite bh209 100% for the NEF's. www.metricsunlimitted.com

ask for Nick Allen.

Not the ONLY plug, but other than custom, yes. Nick no longer works for Metrics Unlimited, but they still sell the plugs for now at least.

Thanks for the corrections Busta. I might just have to get a third spare just incase.hopefully they stay in production just incase they remake the sidekick again.

Steve

Busta, I see you are passing on your vast knowledge here also. Your old buddy bubba from gb here. Nice to have a place you can say metrics unlimited plug lol

Busta, or Sootbelcher,

Why is the name "Metrics Unlimited" not mentioned or banned on GBO? I saw that no one mentions the name or they state Banned Plug.

Just curious.
Thanks,

Busta

Still waiting on the SuperSlu full bore test pics. :p

I got my eye on a TH SS 45/70 to convert to a ML and your review is the deciding factor. :D

PM me please if you would prefer. I know the other details of the conversion. Im just really interested in conical/Powerstar and BH209 sabotless results.

Post another pic too, its so purdy. :D

The metrics unlimtted plug was a issue with GB and advertisement.It really got BLOWN way up.I was one of the guys that got banned for talking about it. O well not my loss !!! Lots of us were just praising a great product.

Steve

sbuff,

Thanks for the clarification. I read the GB board only once in a while, But I am here about every day. GB seems to have a very Tight reign on that board, some of which seems a little extreme, but maybe they need it there, Don't know. That site never felt, to me, as Friendly as this one is. Seems a shame to Ban people from talking about something that makes a product better over advertizing. Oh well as you said, "Their Loss".

Latest posts

Back