MK-85 breech plug for BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedog

Reaction score
Is the conversion breech plug for the MK-85 (to use the red FPJ & 209 primers) one that will work reliably with BH209? I'm presently using the original plug. BM3, and musket caps.

I hope someone knows as I also want to covert my musket cap Knight Wolverine over to the 209/FPJ system - but only if it will work well with Blackhorn.

From what I can tell, most of the time the gun will go off. I've thought about converting my MK-85 but I need reliable ignition.

FWIW, I use BH209 in a Knight Wolverine 209 using the red FPJ and I have had zero problems at the range and in the field with the rifle going off. What I have experienced, with a few shots is that with Winchester 209 shotgun primers, the primer lifts up and on even fewer occassions it sometimes comes out of the primer cup after the shot. It does not seem to act like a missle but you should be aware of it. I plan to try some Federal 209A shotgun primers during the winter to see if they act the same. I also have on order a Non-FPJ breech plug to try as well.

I have swapped the plunger and breech plug from the Wolverine 209 in to an MK-85 and they seem to fit fine, I have yet to fire the MK-85 with the Wolverine 209 ignition. That will probably be a winter project as well.

Latest posts

Back