MK-85 conversion???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elite-50

Reaction score
I want to convert my MK-85 to 209's so I can shoot Blackhorn 209 powder, what do I need?

I believe you can get the conversion kits from knight directly or cabelas.they have the conversion that the primer goes directly into the breech plug and also the conversion using the red primer disc.I have both and suggest the red primer conversion.hard to get primers directly on the breech plug with a scope on.

I'm not speaking from personal experience but I think the jury is still out on using the bh 209 with a plunger style action. I was thinking of the same conversion for the same reason on my wolverine but I think I will hold off for now. I have two other guns that will shoot the new powder just fine and I have a fair amount of 777 to burn up anyway.
Art

I have converted a Traditions Lightning bolt and shot it with BH209. No problem with misfires but a lot of blowback. The hole in the breech is .041 and I think a little on the large side.

Might be an excuse for a new rifle, if the ole 85 won't handle it. :D

I have used both 209 conversion plugs for MK85. The NFPJ type is a butch to prime and both plugs have a lot of blow back with T7. I don't know about Blackhorn in the MK85, but stiff loads of T7 can get "interesting". When T7 first came out, I was working up a load with the 300 grain Barnes expanders using the NFPJ plug. 80 grains was fine, as was 90. When I tried 100 grains of T7 FFFg, the bolt blew open to the cocked position and the primer sailed out like a case from the M-16!

Back