Another from Western NY

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi....I'm an avid smokepole hunter.
I currently own a Knight MK-85 50, a Knight MH disc 50, a Thompson Omega 50 and a Thompson Hawkins 50. I bought my son a Knight LK-93 50.
The MK-85 and MH are set up with scopes and disc 209 ignition. The MK-was converted. The LH is setup as a western gun, open and no sabots. My son lives in Idaho.
Except the round ball gun, I shoot 250 grain Barnes, BH 209 (97 grams weight). The round ball gets fed with FFF BP.

I'm having an occasional hang fire issue with the MH so I started to read some of the related conversations here. Lot's of good stuff. There are quite a few experienced smokepole users here. Amazing. The problem started after I ran out of my usual primers.... but I just read about lifting the sabot off of the charge with the ram rod. Hm....I know it sticks so that is something to explore.

I just noticed another Western NY Knight owner is looking to buy a more modern gun to shoot out to 150 yards. Dude. The Knights will do that all day long. I made a 245 yard shot this season. The deer dropped exactly where it was and did not move an inch. I took another at a more reasonable 150 yards. As long as you are well sighted in (at 100 yards the MK should be touching shots) you can figure out hold overs for longer shots.

Welcome Smokem!

Question: you said "Except the round ball gun, I shoot 250 grain Barnes, BH 209 (97 grams weight)."

You likely meant grains vice grams but it still seems like it exceeds 120grs by volume. 97 grains weighted ÷ 0.7 gives me 138.6 grains by volume. I know lot weights can vary. Does your 209 lot weigh that differently? Thanks!

John

Welcome Smokem!

Question: you said "Except the round ball gun, I shoot 250 grain Barnes, BH 209 (97 grams weight)."

You likely meant grains vice grams but it still seems like it exceeds 120grs by volume. 97 grains weighted ÷ 0.7 gives me 138.6 grains by volume. I know lot weights can vary. Does your 209 lot weigh that differently? Thanks!

John
Actually, no, that is what I shoot. It's a pretty solid thump and undoubtably is beyond the norm. That deer dropped in it's spot at 245 yards is not an exaggeration.
I arrived at that load a number of years ago on the MK. I pushed the load up until the bullet was not hitting the target correctly and with a bit of tumble at 100 yards. I then pulled it back down by about 7 grains and settled on that amount of BH. The thing with BH is that you can literally figure out how much 4 or 5 pellets weigh so using weight instead of the recommend volume, you can measure the loads with pretty amazing consistency.
I may take the load down for the MH. I haven't decided and with the crazy prices for BH these days, I'm not sure keen on blowing a whole lot of powder at the range. Unlike the MK, the MH does not allow the primer to kick back at all. I may be pushing that gun harder as a consequence.
Good catch, but yes, that is how I load. I should add, those are Barnes TMZ's.

Latest posts

Back