MK-85 replacement stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabinajiles

Reaction score
I have a stainless MK-85, with a Wiseman barrel and Timney trigger, that I purchased new when they were first introduced. I've been looking for a replacement stock for it for a while to replace the beat up straight black plastic factory stock and have read confusing and inconsistent information about which other stocks might fit it. Someone had written that the American Knight stocks would fit and while Boyds doesn't show a listing for the MK-85, they do for the American Knight. Calling their customer service was not productive so I just went ahead and ordered a featherweight thumbhole stock in pepper grey, figuring I may possibly have to do some inletting and bedding to make it work. Well, some may already know this, but the MK-85 barrel & trigger assembly dropped right into the stock and fit like a glove. Shot it today and it feels great and is right on the money. Looks like a whole different rifle. I may have to take it hunting again!

Attachments

• image-2018-11-19.jpg
    image-2018-11-19.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 148
sabinajiles said:
I have a stainless MK-85, with a Wiseman barrel and Timney trigger, that I purchased new when they were first introduced. I've been looking for a replacement stock for it for a while to replace the beat up straight black plastic factory stock and have read confusing and inconsistent information about which other stocks might fit it. Someone had written that the American Knight stocks would fit and while Boyds doesn't show a listing for the MK-85, they do for the American Knight. Calling their customer service was not productive so I just went ahead and ordered a featherweight thumbhole stock in pepper grey, figuring I may possibly have to do some inletting and bedding to make it work. Well, some may already know this, but the MK-85 barrel & trigger assembly dropped right into the stock and fit like a glove. Shot it today and it feels great and is right on the money. Looks like a whole different rifle. I may have to take it hunting again!

Golly that is a noce looking rife!

That Boyds looks great on it. How is the reach to the trigger from the TH? Some say they are a bit long.

GM54-120 said:
That Boyds looks great on it. How is the reach to the trigger from the TH? Some say they are a bit long.
It is a bit long but I have large hands so it works OK for me. Someone with small hands might find it uncomfortable. I knew it had somewhat of a long reach already from putting the same stock on a TC Omega and I debated a bit between the thumbhole and pro varmint stock, which I have on my Bestill custom Omega and really like a lot. I ended up going with the thumbhole because I knew it wasn't an uncomfortable reach for me and it is about 3/4 lb lighter. One thing I recommend for anyone buying a Boyds is to add the Limbsaver recoil pad over the standard Boyds pad. It's only about $16 extra. Jeff Fisk recommended it to me when I was getting the stock for the Omega he built for me and he was spot on with that advice. A very nice pad.

Back