ML cleaner for BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a guy on another board that used the mag spark adapter and bh209. This was several years ago now but from what I remember his ignition was fairly reliable but generally the pressure was enough to blow the hammer back. He said it wasn’t worth it and stopped after a couple outings.

As for cleaners, I usually have 3 or 4 different ones sitting around. This last time out I pick d up some Breakfree CLP and was real impressed with how well that did. I’ll probably stick with that one for awhile.

Idaholewis said:
I have been contemplating trying some BH209 in 1 of my Sidelocks i have setup with a Magspark nipple and use Fed 209A primers i have on hand. I have a pound of BH here to try. I wonder how it would work with a 530 Grain Paper Patched bullet? I am thinking of trying it in the ‘Business Rifle’ 32” Green Mountain 1:18 Twist .451 Bore. Sure be nice to cut the fouling WAY down and be able to load without Swabbing between every shot (tho I probably would anyway) I would think my steam cleaner would get the Carbon, and any gunk out of the Snail/Patented Breech like NOBODY’S business? Just do the barrel first with hoppes #9 as mentioned above until i have the Bore fully clean, then Steam Clean the Pee out of it through the Nipple hole. I wouldn’t worry about my cold clean bore shot, as this is strictly a Long range bench/target rifle, i would load and ‘Burn’ my first shot, Then start my Group work. Any thoughts about this idea?

You'll shoot your eye out!

Seriously, it will work until it doesn't. That could be at shot 1, or 21. It will ignite Blackhorn 209, but you will get back pressure, more with the heavy lead you mentioned. What has happened in some instances, is the adapter has been blown right off the rifle. Then there is also the problem with hard carbon deposits between the powder chamber and the adapter. This is fairly easily removed from a breech plugs flame channel with an appropriately sized drill bit turned by hand, in a sidelock with the twists and turns, not so much. Have you tested the steam cleaner on a straight flame channel in a breech plug to see if it can cut through the carbon first? Then follow up with a drill bit too see if it got it all?

Yeah, it's been done, mostly as an experiment to see if it would work. I guess you have to consider how much your eyes are worth to you first? Or the guy that is shooting on the bench next to you?

Back in 2008/2009 I also thought it would be cool experiment, but I have a lot more experience with Blackhorn 209 shooting heavy lead conicals since then to change my mind. To many good capable inline rifles that have an enclosed secure locking breech, locking bolt, or standing breech to go looking for trouble. Sometimes there is more than one projectile that leaves a rifle on the shot, the Magspark unit can do more damage than just put your eye out.

Just some things to consider.

A Magspark might work but there are some possible issues. Pedersoli sells a similar device in 1/4" thread only too.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Davide-P ... 608590.uts

I would look at Westerns black powder cartridge data to see what you are comfortable trying. 80grV and a bullet over 500gr would be getting up there in pressure. Ive shot upto a 488gr and 80grV which IMO was really pushing it but i was also using a beefy custom CF grade barrel.

IMO a 465gr and 80grV is what i would consider max for a production type 45cal ML. Possibly a little lower in sidelock depending on breach type. Something like a manton style breach in White sporting rifles is probably plenty tough.

I just dont trust the Magspark to hold up for long in that application. Maybe the Pedersoli one is made better but i have no idea.

BIG Thank you to ALL of you Men that answered this question for me! Your replies have set it stone that this is definitely something i am NOT gonna be trying! Even though i might get away with it for awhile, it’s just not worth messing with it! The Magspark adapter is kind of a cool setup, and should last Quite awhile with real Blackpowder, they have there downside and that is getting dirty easily and becoming difficult to twist the top open to remove the spent 209, The 209s start to get sticky inside the housing as well, And obviously this would get worse with Each shot, if a guy was gonna use 1 of these Magsparks exclusively he would also need to carry a few qtips with some Alcohol or something similar as cleaner to swab the Magspark out after a few shots to keep it clean and functioning properly. I got a good deal on this Magspark so figured I would give it a try and see what I thought? I am using Fed 209A’s, When you set one off through a Sidelock Barrel it is a really neat sound, You dont hear any noticeable external noise like a No.11 Cap CRACKING off, The 209 primer is contained well inside the Magspark so everything is pushed through the barrel, They Make a deep Hollow BOOOOMPH Type sound. I bet This Magspark would work FLAWLESS for fouling the bore (cold clean bore shot) And blowing any excess oil, gunk from the Snail/powder chamber/Patented breech. That might very well be what i exclusively use mine for

Again, i thank all of you guys for your knowledgeable replies, This aint the same fishing ground I’m use to fishing! :) That’s why i asked, and you guy’s delivered. Better that i stick to my Swiss 2 and 3F, and go back to my No.11 Caps. It will make it that much neater when i hit my really Loooong range targets with this Old Sidelock

Good call lewis.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I have been contemplating trying some BH209 in 1 of my Sidelocks i have setup with a Magspark nipple and use Fed 209A primers i have on hand. I have a pound of BH here to try. I wonder how it would work with a 530 Grain Paper Patched bullet? I am thinking of trying it in the ‘Business Rifle’ 32” Green Mountain 1:18 Twist .451 Bore. Sure be nice to cut the fouling WAY down and be able to load without Swabbing between every shot (tho I probably would anyway) I would think my steam cleaner would get the Carbon, and any gunk out of the Snail/Patented Breech like NOBODY’S business? Just do the barrel first with hoppes #9 as mentioned above until i have the Bore fully clean, then Steam Clean the Pee out of it through the Nipple hole. I wouldn’t worry about my cold clean bore shot, as this is strictly a Long range bench/target rifle, i would load and ‘Burn’ my first shot, Then start my Group work. Any thoughts about this idea?
I think if you can find it ,you"d like it . The draw back is it"s dam expensive and like the elusive unicorn rare to find . I shoot 40-50 rds every Friday , Thank God I have OE# in 1 1/2-2 and 3f or I'd be selling guns to pay for BH 209 and not have any guns to load it in (ALMOST)/Ed

The one thing I have found that is available everywhere is Hoppes Elite it is much better than #9 and is as good as Blackhorn cleaner from Montana co.
The BH 209 cleaner is crap. Don’t waste your money. I haven’t personally tried Hoppes#9 but I have used dollar store windex and it gets the breech plug shiny as brand new.

I don’t think it would be a problem with The Magspark adapter i have? But it’s not worth chancing it to me, i figured if a bunch of you guys that know this powder and Magspark adapter setup said it was fine to do then i would try it, The Magspark adapter encloses a 209 Shotgun primer and allows you to shoot them in a Sidelock. I have never shot any BH209 so have no experience whatsoever with it. I have easy access to all brands and grades of real Blackpowder, i was just thinking of how handy it would be to not have the harsh fouling to deal with, but swabbing good between shots isn’t a big deal.

Picture of the Magspark adapter on my rifle
Doc White suggests a 5 or 10 grain load of black powder under BH209 for his in lines. I don’t remember for sure which it was. I’m betting it would go boom in a sidelock as well.

This got lost from my previous post... Easy bore cleaning for T7 or BH

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

The ammonia in Blue Windex gets rid of the potassium and Sulphur deposits left in the bore by either T7 or BH

Latest posts

Back