mmp hph24 or harvester black crush rib and why

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
wondering which ones everybody uses and why. i just picked up some barnes 250 tez and havent shot them yet they load good with both the sabots provided which i learned on here are hph24 from mmp. just curious as to why i would change to the crush rib. i will try both just interested on your opinions thanks

I’ve used both and don’t have a preference - I let the bore and bullet combo decide. Only real difference I see is the Harvesters are cheaper.

wondering which ones everybody uses and why. i just picked up some barnes 250 tez and havent shot them yet they load good with both the sabots provided which i learned on here are hph24 from mmp. just curious as to why i would change to the crush rib. i will try both just interested on your opinions thanks
I use Harvester sabots in my .54/.50/45. To answer the smooth or crush-ribbed sabots. The smooth seem to fit a bore size smaller, the crush works better in a bigger sized bore for the caliber. I have not actually measured them. I test fit n shoot them. My T/C is a tight bore the smooth fit tight. The crush ribs takes my range- rod to load them. I have to size my .45 bullets in T/C Blk. Diamond for them to fit my H5045 sabots. If i don't i have to use a mallet to load them n that is too tight. Its a hunting rifle not a target/ competion rifle

I use Harvester sabots in my .54/.50/45. To answer the smooth or crush-ribbed sabots. The smooth seem to fit a bore size smaller, the crush works better in a bigger sized bore for the caliber. I have not actually measured them. I test fit n shoot them. My T/C is a tight bore the smooth fit tight. The crush ribs takes my range- rod to load them. I have to size my .45 bullets in T/C Blk. Diamond for them to fit my H5045 sabots. If i don't i have to use a mallet to load them n that is too tight. Its a hunting rifle not a target/ competion rifle
Do you think the harvester bulk smooth would load tighter than the tez sabot

Do you think the harvester bulk smooth would load tighter than the tez sabot
I maybe wrong but i think the Barnes sabots are made by mmp. I have not used mmp sabots only the Harvesters. I am frugal & once i find a combo that gives me my best accuracy that is the end of my search. Many people want a stout load for hunting, i don't,i go accurate. I have killed many of tick toter using 45/50/55 gr of 3 F in my .45's

I much prefer the MMP HPH sabots. I often hunt in very cold weather and the MMP's stay pliable enough in the cold temps that they do remain pliabe and loadable. Harvesters use a different formulation of Polymere and are sometimes hard to load in really cold temps, but, they do work well in the warmer temps.

Just my thoughts and experience.

Thanks that’s very good info as other than target shooting I will be using my muzzy for our reg gun season here in Wisconsin Temps can get pretty cold especially if you leave gun in case or garage overnight

Latest posts

Back