Monoflex 250 not performing well on game?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this question has been asked earlier in the form, please forgive me, but when you shoot at the range or site, do you by chance use a lead sled or something similar? I have seen multiple times where a gun is dead on but once it comes out of the sled, it’s not anymore. I put my guns on paper with the sled, and then move to the bags as fast as possible.

Greg

I have an adjustable front rest and a bag for the rear end of the gun. I'm not a fan of shooting with a sled. My guns are all 1"" +/- a hair at 100 yards using this method.

I have an adjustable front rest and a bag for the rear end of the gun. I'm not a fan of shooting with a sled. My guns are all 1"" +/- a hair at 100 yards using this method.
Those sleds are known to be a scope wrecker.

I shoot off bags…never a lead sled..they are really hard on the scope,actions, and stocks…guns are meant to move with recoil. Bags are best for what I do and I can still shoot very good groups..they also make the shooter still work a bit rather than just touching off the trigger..I see way too many guys at the range shooting off a fixed rest out to 300+ yards and say “yep I’m good to hunt”

I think the "trick" to using a sled is to not put any weight on it other than the gun. I've been doing that for years without issue and the rest recoils quite well. As always YMMV.

Last edited:
White fur is never a good sign. And no way to tell how bad the deer was hit even in a non-vital area. I do commend you for posting here and admitting you might need a bit of help. Loosing one deer is bad but it happens to the best of us (mostly). Loosing multiple deer is reason to re-evaluate. good luck.

Lots of info here. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Right now I'm suspecting the scope. It is not the scope that came stock on the optima. I got this Optima used and the scope had been swapped. I don't think it's high quality and in particular the left and right adjustment doesn't seem to be behaving correctly.

Some had asked about breech plug: yes I'm using the 209 breech plug. I keep the flash hole cleaned with a torch tip cleaner. I'm careful not to grind on it, not trying to enlarge the hole just keeping it open. Attached is a picture of the breach plug after Maybe 10 to 15 shots of no cleaning the plug.

PXL_20221213_201730910.jpg

PXL_20221213_201741001.jpg

I shoot off of an adjustable rest. It's not a sled. It just has a fork bracket for the front and rear. The gun still rests on my shoulder. The front fork rests on the stock, not the barrel.

As seen in the pictures I showed though, shooting just resting elbows on the back of a golf cart I was putting bullets close together, but in the wrong place. I don't think it's my shooting and I don't think it's the gun.

I think I'm scope shopping.

Still wondering about the unburned bits of powder though. I guess I need to do some experimenting with different loads again. I did all that when I first got the gun and settled on 84 wt. Maybe I'll try some 77 gn. Or even 72 or something like that.

Honestly though, with black horn getting so expensive I might just be switching platforms to a 450 bushmaster. They legalized those here in lower Michigan a while back and my goal is to put meat in the freezer at the end of the day. I don't want to spend a lot of time at the bench and a lot of money testing out stuff.

Used to be we had a Muzzleloader season here in Michigan, but we basically don't anymore. You can hunt with anything all the way through.

I like to hunt for bucks with the bow, then by the time gun season gets here I just want to easily fill the freezer. After missing or not finding five deer with this Muzzleloader this year I'm really not feeling it.

I guess if it's a scope issue I can't blame the gun though.

Lots of info here. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Right now I'm suspecting the scope. It is not the scope that came stock on the optima. I got this Optima used and the scope had been swapped. I don't think it's high quality and in particular the left and right adjustment doesn't seem to be behaving correctly.

Some had asked about breech plug: yes I'm using the 209 breech plug. I keep the flash hole cleaned with a torch tip cleaner. I'm careful not to grind on it, not trying to enlarge the hole just keeping it open. Attached is a picture of the breach plug after Maybe 10 to 15 shots of no cleaning the plug.

View attachment 28756

View attachment 28757

I shoot off of an adjustable rest. It's not a sled. It just has a fork bracket for the front and rear. The gun still rests on my shoulder. The front fork rests on the stock, not the barrel.

As seen in the pictures I showed though, shooting just resting elbows on the back of a golf cart I was putting bullets close together, but in the wrong place. I don't think it's my shooting and I don't think it's the gun.

I think I'm scope shopping.

Still wondering about the unburned bits of powder though. I guess I need to do some experimenting with different loads again. I did all that when I first got the gun and settled on 84 wt. Maybe I'll try some 77 gn. Or even 72 or something like that.

Honestly though, with black horn getting so expensive I might just be switching platforms to a 450 bushmaster. They legalized those here in lower Michigan a while back and my goal is to put meat in the freezer at the end of the day. I don't want to spend a lot of time at the bench and a lot of money testing out stuff.

Used to be we had a Muzzleloader season here in Michigan, but we basically don't anymore. You can hunt with anything all the way through.

I like to hunt for bucks with the bow, then by the time gun season gets here I just want to easily fill the freezer. After missing or not finding five deer with this Muzzleloader this year I'm really not feeling it.

I guess if it's a scope issue I can't blame the gun though.
Most likely not the problem but you should fix or replace this before it becomes an issue.
CC06EBE9-6BAC-443D-BF95-00A4BA739F08.jpeg

Yeah it rolled off the bench and dented itself on the floor one day. It's been like that for years.

I've seen it more than once that someone has a nice gun, nice scope but cheaps out on mounts and rings and has problems. I haven't read the thread but if you don't have good ones I'd replace that before the scope.

Latest posts

Back