More on Loc-tite?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerNut

Reaction score
I'm re-mounting my bases tonight and noticed in the directions it states "sets in 20 minutes and fully cures in 24 hours". Does this mean I shouldn't shoot my gun for 24 hours, or would I be good-to-go tomorrow morning?

I need help, its crunch time!!!

DeerNut said:
I'm re-mounting my bases tonight and noticed in the directions it states "sets in 20 minutes and fully cures in 24 hours". Does this mean I shouldn't shoot my gun for 24 hours, or would I be good-to-go tomorrow morning?

I need help, its crunch time!!!

The curing process can be sped up by use of Primer "N."

The 20 minutes refers to "fixture stength." The times are overly generous, listed at 25 C / 77 deg. F.-- "worst case scenario."

If you are reapplying, you have very small gap fill. If you can stick your gun in a 90 deg. area, you will speed up the cure time.

In this case, both parts (steel) are considered "active substrates." After 12 hours, you will have 90% strength, more than needed-- and you are good to go.

(This based on Loctite 242, the blue stuff.)

Thanks Randy!

Everything seems to be coming together, now all I can ask for is a smooth range session. Even the front base screw cooperated. It was five turns without the base and 4 1/2 with the base......whew! No grinding required.

Latest posts

Back