Most accurate In Line, for the money

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
There are many In-line ML's out there. I just wonder what is the best bang for the buck. I am currently shooting the CVA Accure Plains Rifle, with the Bergara barrel, and this thing just stacks them in there. I was so impressed, I bought another one, and put my back up, up for sale. I understand that Knight makes a fine rifle, with the Green Mountain barrels. but, the prices are quite a bit higher. Kinda like the Match Grade M1A I paid $2400 for, and having a pristine Remington 03A3 that shoots just as good, and I only paid $400 for it. haha. What's your thoughts?

Whatever gun shoots best for you is the most accurate one.. there are no inaccurate major make muzzleloaders out there. Its all a matter of just finding the load that's best for that rifle. Accuracy is more about the person behind the trigger then the gun with todays modern inlines, now if your talking a 99.00 gun vs a 400.00 gun then maybe.

Whatever gun shoots best for you is the most accurate one.. there are no inaccurate major make muzzleloaders out there. Its all a matter of just finding the load that's best for that rifle. Accuracy is more about the person behind the trigger then the gun with todays modern inlines, now if your talking a 99.00 gun vs a 400.00 gun then maybe.

haha. Actually, a $400 rifle is just a hoo-hum rifle. That is what I am shooting, though, and it does great.

My new Thunder Hawk is proving to be exceptionally accurate. Got her for $150.
My .50 Black Diamond XR is also extremely accurate and boringly consistent. Got her new for $225 10 years ago.
Had an Omega Z5 that shot WAY above its $ 250 price tag.
Most muzzleloaders in any kind of condition, will shoot quite well once their loads are figured out. I have a Super 45 45XR that is being stubborn. The addition of a walnut stock should go a long way in coaxing good consistent accuracy out of her.
One thing that a silly little Chinese Type 56 ( SKS) taught me is, if you shoot any rifle with the same care and attention to technique that you would with a target rifle, it will most likely surprise you. That little 56, on a nice calm day, out shot 2 National Match Caliber 30 M1 rifles at 200 yards. No doubt the owners had a lot to do with it, but 10 shots in a r inch group from an as issued rifle ( open sights)shooting reloads, is not at all hard to take.

[QUOTE="Confederate rifleman, One thing that a silly little Chinese Type 56 ( SKS) taught me is, if you shoot any rifle with the same care and attention to technique that you would with a target rifle, it will most likely surprise you. That little 56, on a nice calm day, out shot 2 National Match Caliber 30 M1 rifles at 200 yards. No doubt the owners had a lot to do with it, but 10 shots in a r inch group from an as issued rifle ( open sights)shooting reloads, is not at all hard to take.[/QUOTE]

You must have been shooting a John C Garand match. I was shooting one with an 03A3, and some guy shows up with an M1D. You would have thought he would have shot circles around the rest of us, but that old 03A3, shot like a match rifle, and it wasn't happening,. haha

I would look for a slightly used or not used at all T/C Omega. I bought one last spring in pristine condition and upgraded it with LRMP ignition and it shoots lights out. 250 grain bullets are best out of it. It's the only gun I have that keeps up with my ultra lite.

that was just a comparison, I have all of the above from 150.00 muzzleloaders to 1400.00 ones and while the more expensive ones may be a tad bit more accurate not enough to get excited about.
Money spent for a production weapon doesn't always make it better, the same usually cant be said for a custom as the best components are used and everything is tweaked to make it as accurate as possible.. production guns walk a line in between in order for the average Joe to be able to afford them.

haha. Actually, a $400 rifle is just a hoo-hum rifle. That is what I am shooting, though, and it does great.

I really like Knights. I have four of them. They are consistent if I shoot them correctly. I have shot many other brands and I believe that they will all perform quite well. The comment above about custom is certainly true. I would love to have a Cooper ML someday.

Knights and CVA Accuras. I've been shooting CVAs since the 80's and the V2 Accura's and Optima's are capable of better accuracy than I am. The knights are as good or better IMO. TC's were always out of my price range.

I bought a traditions G4 Ultralight on clearance for $139 @ WM then replaced the rear Williams fiber optic notch sight with a Williams fiber optic ghost ring from Midway ($14 with shipping) and it is the most accurate rife I've ever had with open sights! Outperforming center fire high $ rifles with stock open sights easily!

I would be lying if i said I am not partial to Knight

I have a .45 Cooper and my buddy Scott Rauch also has one . You are not missing out on the Cooper. We both also have Knight Mountaineers . The Knights will shoot circles around the Cooper. As far as that goes my fast twist .45 Knights with their Green Mountain barrels will also shoot right with my .45 Brux barreled customs . With in moderate ranges.

This is just my opionion. Guns that are made today .(production guns) It is pretty tuff to beat a Knight Green Mountain barrel or a CVA Bergara barrel. Guns of the past you could add TCs and Whites.

Woodsman also makes a nice light Break action rifle.

Just depends on how much money you want to spend and at what ranges you want to shoot. Lots of variables. May just come down to personal preference.

I apologize to the Original poster. You are asking the CHEAPEST most accurate rifle.

Used... Knight,TC or White

New ... CVA

Again just one mans opionion.

There are likely some pretty darned expensive guns that don't shoot for beans, but the gun isn't the likely cause. Some shooters just expect whatever they handle to be spot on right from the box and they're too lazy to spend the time with lots of components to really develop "accuracy". I know people who flinch so bad with slugs in a 20 gauge that accuracy is more a figment of the imagination than actually happening. Muzzleloaders come with an expected amount of cleaning time and they also come with the need to be "discovered" by shooting.

dbowling sums this up nicely in his reply.

When talking about sub $300, CVA has a couple that will be hard to beat new. When you move upto the $500ish range there are some really nice rifles out there. I paid full MSRP for my GMB 54-120 and for what its designed to do it does perfectly. I gave around $419 for that rifle shipped to my door and another $25ish for a Lehigh bare primer conversion.

I paid $160 for a NIB MK85 and around that for a brand spanking new Elite 45 (no box). Paid under $300 for a NIB DISC Original 45 with shipping. Them Knight 45s are shooters.

When talking about sub $300, CVA has a couple that will be hard to beat new. When you move upto the $500ish range there are some really nice rifles out there. I paid full MSRP for my GMB 54-120 and for what its designed to do it does perfectly. I gave around $419 for that rifle shipped to my door and another $25ish for a Lehigh bare primer conversion.

I paid $160 for a NIB MK85 and around that for a brand spanking new Elite 45 (no box). Paid under $300 for a NIB DISC Original 45 with shipping. Them Knight 45s are shooters.

Doug and GM54, I was asking what people thought was the best bang for the buck, and not necessarily the cheapest, but yes, cost is a factor. I ordered the CVA Accura Plains Rifle, from muzzle-loaders.com, as soon as it was announced, and paid a tad more than what you can get it for now. $538. I hear a lot of great things about Knight, but I got kinda soured with bolt guns, early on. With that said, I know a lot more about in-line muzzleloaders now, than I did when I got started. SInce CVA started putting the Bergara barrels on the Accura, it is really consistent. I looked at the Knights, and the one I would get, is in the 4 figure range.

Welcome to the world of muzzleloader addiction. It seems that what we end up doing, we always end up doing or wanting more. Its an addiction I tell you!
One purchases a rifle and then wants to squeeze just a little more out of it. Then its another rifle or major change. Then another and another.
Some guys, not that its wrong ;) have a whole safe full of different muzzleloaders. Others try to make one work.
Its an addiction! :D

I got really lucky by working at a place where I can buy CVA, TC, Traditions and a few Lymans at dealer cost. Thats where i i bought my Accura v2 PR.

I own 2 Accura PR and one Traditions Vortec (the original one, which I have for sale). Planning on keeping the 2 CVAs.

Latest posts

Back