Moved Up To Loose Powder From Formed Pellets-Help Requested

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C Broad Arrow

Reaction score
Well...It took calls to 4 retailers before I located a can of loose powder.

Supplies are tough to get up here, and powder, any kind of powder, is in short supply.

But the good folks at BP has a can of Triple Seven.

So I am looking for are some good loads. My starting point is a 250 grain Shock Wave. But I am open to ideas and other bullets.

The gun is a TC Omega (.50).

This is to be used only for deer. I do not think I have ever taken one over 125 yards.

Looking forward to your collective wisdom and experience.

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Moved Up To Loose Powder From Formed Pellets-Help Reques

I am no expert, but I would start at 80 grains and work up from there. If your shots are in the 125 yard mark, that would more than likely be enough. I shoot an Omega with 44/240 XTP and 90 grains of powder and my shots are about the same distance as yours, and have not had any problems putting brown down.... I actually had good grouping with 85, but rounded up to 90 for that little bit of assurance.

Start at 90gr and work up until accuracy drops off or you feel the additional recoil is not needed.

Also try the bonded Shockwaves if you want a tougher bullet that flies the same. Save the regular Shockwave/SSTs for practice.

Are you shooting Triple 7?

I have always like 777 powder but you are going to need to swab between shots. As far as loads like everybody else said start at 90 and go up. I'd bet around 105-110 will be the sweet spot.

All the Omegas I have worked with would shoot 100 grains so I would start at 100 and work both ways if needed. The Shock Wave is an excellent bullet I have used them for year with excellent results.

Swabbing between shots seems to be more the norm than the marketing material from the different powders would lead us to believe, including the one I am using currently.

At the bench I always swab so that I get a consistent set of parameters for each shot.

In the field I know I am going to only get one shot, more as a result of the dense bush than the ability to reload, although who am I kidding :) .

Thanks for the tip.

What weight of bullet are you using?

And I almost forgot...how do you measure the powder?

Even though you could possibly end up with 100 grains start with 80 and work up in 5 grain increments. The hornady SST should work great. Get some harvestor crush rib sabots and you'll be set. Use the triple seven primers and make sure you clean between shots which looks like you do.

Use this powder measure which you should be able to find at Walmart (should be in clearance at this time also!)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/714741 ... -and-brass

If you really want to get critical once you find the right charge, weigh your charges then you'll have exact charges all the time.

RR

Shoot,shoot,and more shoot,The only way to know is to get out and shoot.Start at 80 gr and go from there.You'll know when you get to that place where you want to be.But you have to get out and SHOOT!

This may not need to be said, it may be obvious, but all the charges these guys are talking about is measured by volume, not weight. The powder measure shown will give you volume measurements.

I don't think you want to use 105 gr by weight until you get some more experience, if then.

markbl said:
This may not need to be said, it may be obvious, but all the charges these guys are talking about is measured by volume, not weight. The powder measure shown will give you volume measurements.

I don't think you want to use 105 gr by weight until you get some more experience, if then.

Good reminder, we'd rather be over safe and repeat rules and tips than hear about an accident.

This had been a great help.

I want to thank you all.

I have the same gun.

90-110 Grains will be the ticket. I highly recommend the Harvester Crushed Rib Sabots as the Omega bores tend to be tight.

I personally prefer 300 grain bullets but I'm sure the 250s will get the job done.

How do you even seat a tight sabot on a pellet WITHOUT cracking it? I have never even used them, but everyone says if you break them, it alters pressure and accuracy. But how do you keep a tight seal, with no space, and not break one. I have to wonder how/why customs like ultimate gear for pellets. How many fliers happen because of improper seating, or cracked pellets. Just seems to me it adds one more possibility for error..why go backwards

Squeeze said:
How do you even seat a tight sabot on a pellet WITHOUT cracking it? I have never even used them, but everyone says if you break them, it alters pressure and accuracy. But how do you keep a tight seal, with no space, and not break one. I have to wonder how/why customs like ultimate gear for pellets. How many fliers happen because of improper seating, or cracked pellets. Just seems to me it adds one more possibility for error..why go backwards

How tight should a sabot load to be the proper sabot? How much fpf (foot lb force) is necessary to have a correct fitting sabot? How much fpf is required to break/crack a pellet?

This year I shot some of the Harvester crush rib sabots and really liked them. I have shot a lot of the 300 grain shock waves with the provided sabots and Triple Seven 2F. In my Knight Disc extreme 50 cal, I have used up to 150 grains (by volume) with very good accuracy. Recently I have dropped the load to 120 as my shots are no farther than you posted and the 150 grain loads were not needed. Depending on the rifle, I think you will find 90 or more grains will be what you end up with. I have several traditional TC Hawken rifles that like the 90 grains different bullets. One Hawken uses 385 grain Hornady great plains bullet while the other is a Green Mountain fast twist drop in barrel and it likes 240 Hornady XTP with the Harvester crush rib sabot.

Great info, thanks for sharing. I keep hearing about these Harvester Crush Rib Sabots. Why are they different than the sabots that come with the Shock Waves or other bullets?

Get ahold of sabotloader on this forum & he will give you all the info you need on T7 useage & cleanup. It's VERY GOOD info to have & makes T7 use & clean up easy.

Crushed rib sabots have ribs on the outside of the sabot as opposed to the normal smooth type. It reduces the amount of force needed to load the sabot/bullet (especially important in tight barrels) and in some cases improves accuracy. I tried the crushed rib sabots along with a few others in my optima and found that it's not only the easiest to load with Barnes expanders, but i also got the best accuracy with them. The cheapest place i found online for them was Gamaliel since they don't charge the same price for shipping that you pay for the sabots.

If you're already happy with the Shockwaves and the way they fit then don't feel pressured to change, but if you think you're going to break a ramrod when you load then crushed ribs are the way to go

There have been times where I thought I was going to break the rod loading the bullet. But my cleaning an maintenance regime has changed and with a little more experience they all seem to feel the same now when stuffed down the pipe. Good to know what they are and how they can help.

Back