Murphy's law

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
No matter how long you've been at something without an issue or issues, Murphy seems to show when least expected. Everything isn't always a bed of roses, some just won't mention the thorns.

The other day I was sizing some Fury bullets and checking the loading force on a clean barrel. Leaned the rifle up against the bench and reached for the gage and ..... WHAM! In my haste I didn't put the barrel in the barrel holder and the 11# rifle went slaming down on the concrete floor. Talk about hating one's self..... :oops: :oops: :oops: Let's face it, at least I'll admit it even though its :oops: :oops: :oops:

Now many say I'm nuts for spending the money on scopes that I do, but there's a reason for it. I removed the Nightforce, rings and mount. Reinstalled with plenty of blue and let it set for a day. I did talk with some Nightforce folks, who basically laughed. They told me I couldn't throw that scope on the concrete floor and damage it. Then they pointed me to a photo of a Nightforce that was shot completely through by an enemy soldier and it remained zeroed for the unhurt U.S. soldier until the mission was over. Then they pointed me to the torture tests on youtube. Said that the only thing I could have done was to move the rings in the mount.

So today I wanted to check the zero. Might I mention it was HOT, HOT, HOT out. 91° with 81% humidity. The gnats and flies wanted to bite through the Deet spray I had on.

I DID NOT ALLOW THE BARREL TO COOL BETWEEN SHOTS.

After the reinstall, here's the first 100yd shots using 84grs WEIGHT of BH209, a 300gr SST in a H5045LB sabot. Again, load and shoot, no cooling of the barrel between shots. This is why I bought a Nightforce. It was right there. My shooting, did I mention is was HOT? I only made a 1moa adjustment up.

Cooling down in a few days, which will make better shooting..

IMG_1393.jpg

Good enough after all the above, but now to try a couple of the Fury 325gr star tips I sized. Now...... this I will say.... that barrel was so damned hot, I could hardly hold it to load it. I did not wait between shots, I just loaded as fast as I could and sent 4 rounds. 84grs WEIGHT of BH209, a .518" - .060" thick wad. Funny how the full bore bullets, even 25grs heavier, shot higher than the 300gr SST in a sabot.

IMG_1391.jpg

Pulled one of the Furys from the clay berm, shot through paper target and a piece of rotted OSB board.

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

fishhawk2700 said:
I like the way those Startips mushroom. Can't wait for a deer test.
I can't wait for this heat, rain and humidity to cease, along with the biting flies.
Yes, that bullet mushrooms perfectly.
I need to work in sizing these bullets. BH just has a lubrication to it, making a clean bore test at 17# way to easy once shot.

Back