Krieger and 500yds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
A pretty good day to head to the range and shoot a 500yd target.

Screenshot 2023-09-23 130450.jpg

Krieger 45cal barrel on Howa action
Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS
Arrowhead modular ignition
Federal 215M Match primers
350gr Arrowhead XLD's
Wool wads
120grs VOLUME of BH209, Lot#41 (averaged and then weighed)
Leather front rest, leather rear bag. SOLID.
Barrel was swabbed between each round with a slightly damp patch, then a dry patch both sides.

Great day to send a few, the first from the Krieger beyond 100yds. I found that the DOPE I had for DUNAMIS, wasn't close to what I had to have for the Krieger. Same identical charge and bullets, but it took an additional 2moa. 20moa to be exact for the Krieger.
Concrete bench and with the leather on the rests, it was SOLID.

I'm not sure that the Krieger likes the combination I was shooting today. Adjustments made after the top 3 rounds brought it down to where it should be but, it didn't want to group tight. It wasn't the wind giving me the issue.
I may have to change to a veggie wad, and also tighten up the loading force. The bullets had to be sized a lot smaller than my .450" Rock Creek barrel. 10 additional marks on the sizing die. I sized the bullets to load in a CLEAN barrel at 9#, which makes the loading force 15# fouled. Next time I'll shoot the same, except change to a veggie wad and see if there's any significant difference.

500yds 9-23-23  First time with the Krieger.jpg

Changed the charge to 100grsW (not for production rifles).

Shot both the 350gr XLD's and Fury 400's for velocity check at 100yds. Finished with the 350's on the target below.

350gr XLD's averaged 2,196fps

400gr Fury averaged 2,074fps

NOTE........................... The target was shot WITH the Magnetospeed V3 on the barrel and registering velocity.
Without it, the group would likely have been smaller. But..... its a velocity check day ;)

100yds 350XLD 100grsWBH.jpg

Shot both the 350gr XLD's and Fury 400's for velocity check at 100yds. Finished with the 350's on the target below.

NOTE........................... The target was shot WITH the Magnetospeed V3 on the barrel and registering velocity.
Without it, the group would likely have been smaller. But..... its a velocity check day ;)
What are you trying to do George

View attachment 37792

View attachment 37792

what are you trying to do George? I thought you had a good load first time you shot at Atterbury

what are you trying to do George? I thought you had a good load first time you shot at Atterbury
In a round about way, I'm shooting a different rifle with a 1:18 twist with a Krieger 45cal barrel, and want to compare it at longer ranges with my 1:19 twist.

What I believe I found at Atterbury is, the 350's are right on the edge for my 1:19 twist. They go subsonic at 800yds, and its believed that the wind is creating a few issues. Jeff and I discussed it and for my 1:19 barrel, I'd most likely be better off with the 325gr bullet. Chris switched from 350's to 300's and started shooting well.

My average at Atterbury didn't improve over June's match. You know how it is, when the trigger breaks and you KNOW it should be an "X", but the damn shot goes way off some place. Frustrating as hell.

Now I'm not sure, but that mount which caused me major issues at Friendship, may......... maybe ...... started coming loose much earlier than I thought. It was good enough to clean all the steel, but after that is when things got really bad. When I got home, sure enough, those front mount screws were not torqued. The front screw was about a 1/2 turn loose and the rear almost a full turn. I had so much blue loctite on those screws, I had to clean the inside of the action. Yet it didn't hold. Those are 8-40 screws too.

I'm fixing that so that it doesn't happen again. I have the new rail coming that Jeff recommended, a Farrell's FG. It will take the force of that heavy scope off the screws. Its also been suggested that I just JB Weld the rail right to the action instead of just bedding it. Not sure on that yet. It's a custom made 40moa rail with 2 extra slots in front. I should get it in about another 1.5wks.

https://www.kenfarrell.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=140

In a round about way, I'm shooting a different rifle with a 1:18 twist with a Krieger 45cal barrel, and want to compare it at longer ranges with my 1:19 twist.

What I believe I found at Atterbury is, the 350's are right on the edge for my 1:19 twist. They go subsonic at 800yds, and its believed that the wind is creating a few issues. Jeff and I discussed it and for my 1:19 barrel, I'd most likely be better off with the 325gr bullet. Chris switched from 350's to 300's and started shooting well.

My average at Atterbury didn't improve over June's match. You know how it is, when the trigger breaks and you KNOW it should be an "X", but the damn shot goes way off some place. Frustrating as hell.

Now I'm not sure, but that mount which caused me major issues at Friendship, may......... maybe ...... started coming loose much earlier than I thought. It was good enough to clean all the steel, but after that is when things got really bad. When I got home, sure enough, those front mount screws were not torqued. The front screw was about a 1/2 turn loose and the rear almost a full turn. I had so much blue loctite on those screws, I had to clean the inside of the action. Yet it didn't hold. Those are 8-40 screws too.

I'm fixing that so that it doesn't happen again. I have the new rail coming that Jeff recommended, a Farrell's FG. It will take the force of that heavy scope off the screws. Its also been suggested that I just JB Weld the rail right to the action instead of just bedding it. Not sure on that yet. It's a custom made 40moa rail with 2 extra slots in front. I should get it in about another 1.5wks.

https://www.kenfarrell.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=140
My thinking would l lean more to the loose screws in base

Latest posts

Back