Muzzle Brake issue?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adjudicator

Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. I recently purchased a CVA MR-X in .45, and it finally came in the mail a couple of days ago. Among the accessories I purchased for this, was an Anarchy Outdoors full port muzzle brake. So naturally when it came in (a few days after the gun) I went to install it. The mr-x comes with a threaded bergara barrel and a thread cover. I was able to get the thread cover off with just a little elbow grease, and some help with a rag/pliers in a few tight spots. After removing the cap, I noticed that the threads of the barrel and the cap itself were both a bit rusty. I cleaned up the loose debris and wiped down the threads, and tried to put the brake on just to see if it would go on easy enough, and it wont. It basically starts bun then stops almost immediately afterwards. My initial thought was the threads are different between the two, but this is a gun specific brake...So my question is, Is this a simple matter of a deep cleaning on threads of the barrel? What are the best methods/tools for cleaning said threads? If that's not the case, what actions can I take?

There does seem to be a couple burrs or dings (whatever you'd like to call them) on the threads of the barrel. Though whether those were already on there or happened somehow while removing the cap I can't say. I can't imagine forcing the brake on would be a good idea.

This is my first time installing a brake on a muzzleloader, and I would say I'm fairly new to this branch of guns. Unfortunately the military never covered muzzleloaders :)

The machinist suggestion is the best one . Most time a brake will not thread on is either the wrong thread or the class of threads don’t match . In my shop I have used a tap for the brake or a die to cut the muzzle threads to a smaller thread pitch.

My .50 MR-X has perfect threads and my thread protector spins on and off by hand with no issue. Is your gun used? It’s odd that there is corrosion under the thread protector.

I make sure to keep those threads clean and greased after shooting, same as the threads on the breach plug.

Another thought on keeping the muzzle threads in good shape.. If I were running a muzzle break I would plan to spin it off and thoroughly clean and grease the threads with anti seize frequently (every shooting session for me, but I’m meticulous) especially if putting the gun into storage.

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. I recently purchased a CVA MR-X in .45, and it finally came in the mail a couple of days ago. Among the accessories I purchased for this, was an Anarchy Outdoors full port muzzle brake. So naturally when it came in (a few days after the gun) I went to install it. The mr-x comes with a threaded bergara barrel and a thread cover. I was able to get the thread cover off with just a little elbow grease, and some help with a rag/pliers in a few tight spots. After removing the cap, I noticed that the threads of the barrel and the cap itself were both a bit rusty. I cleaned up the loose debris and wiped down the threads, and tried to put the brake on just to see if it would go on easy enough, and it wont. It basically starts bun then stops almost immediately afterwards. My initial thought was the threads are different between the two, but this is a gun specific brake...So my question is, Is this a simple matter of a deep cleaning on threads of the barrel? What are the best methods/tools for cleaning said threads? If that's not the case, what actions can I take?

There does seem to be a couple burrs or dings (whatever you'd like to call them) on the threads of the barrel. Though whether those were already on there or happened somehow while removing the cap I can't say. I can't imagine forcing the brake on would be a good idea.

This is my first time installing a brake on a muzzleloader, and I would say I'm fairly new to this branch of guns. Unfortunately the military never covered muzzleloaders :)
So I have the same rifle same brake. Not the same issue with the thread protector though. Mine came off verry easily. And the brake fits absolutely perfect. I think that may just be your threads having corrosion issues. This happens often when shipping guns from overseas with all the saltwater and air that it has to traverse over to make it stateside. Sounds like you just got one that was a little rusty due to this fact. I believe you could have damaged the threads removing the protector with tools... Just an observation. Could have been damage there to begin with. Hard to tell.

Latest posts

Back