muzzle-loaders .com percussion rifles ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im looking at buying two ppercusssion rifles for me and my son to go out west and hunt with .my question is what brand will be the best? traditions pedersoli investarms lyman???

Quite a range in prices depending on which one you choose.
Traditions are good entry level guns. Not usually fancy but they work.
Pedersoli made guns are definitely nicer quality, same with the Lyman.
It all depends on your budget.

There are a wide selection of very nice older T/C Hawkens and Renegades on just about every auction site (gunbroker, gunsinternational, gunsamerica) for reasonable prices. Also check out the classified section on muzzleloadingforum.com.

Obviously, you will get different opinions on whomever you ask, but if you want a ‘Hawken’ style those T/C’s are tried and true rifles. Some people like Traditions but I would avoid their new builds as production quality has definitely suffered as compared to older ones. I will always personally stand by the older Lyman’s but they haven’t been produced in some years (all modern production are Pedersoli-made Lyman branded) and the older ones are definitely more difficult to find at decent prices.
Investarms produced Lyman’s for a number of years and a Lyman Deerstalker, Investarms Hawken, and Cabela’s branded Hawken are all the same Investarms rifle, just marketed separately.
Pedersoli’s are indeed nice but will bring a higher price for entry level depending upon what you are looking to spend.

The Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken seemed to be a well built rifle.
I bought a collection last winter and sold the rifle w/box at the HawkenClassic in the spring.

3E767CA0-2E56-4B93-9CA5-C2FFCBAE88F9.jpeg

im looking at buying two ppercusssion rifles for me and my son to go out west and hunt with .my question is what brand will be the best? traditions pedersoli investarms lyman???
You cant beat a TC Renegade for day in day out reliability and handling , note I did not mention Hawken ! Hate the sharp crescent butt plate/shiny brass and light barrels (all Renegades are 1 inch ) makes a difference when shooting conicals with full charges OE 90 grains 3F (RECOIL) in my 54 cal 1-48 twist under a felt wad and a Lyman Plains cast in pure !!! Just for your info I own 3 TC Hawkens at the moment but no way using that load (I'm 145 Lbs) and like staying upright and the critter on the ground ! /Ed

before u buy check caliber reqiurements. i enforce colo laws for seven years and found people hunting with wrong one

What state do you have in mind to hunt?
There are specific ML regs in some states so it may be wise to check them before deciding on rifles to purchase.

Man years ago I had a BP shop and sold several of the 54ca Investarms with chrome lined bores. It was the best seller and I wish I still had at least one.

What state do you have in mind to hunt?
There are specific ML regs in some states so it may be wise to check them before deciding on rifles to purchase.
Usually it is a caliber minimum. If you go with .50 or bigger you are pretty safe. IMHO

I can confirm that the latest Traditions do not have the same quality control as long ago. The Hawken I just finished has a bunch of issues I had to work around. Still have one thing I need to fix with the double set trigger, it is no longer releasing the sear, I need to pull farther on the first trigger to make it fire. This is a new condition since putting everything back together after finishing the stock.

I can confirm that the latest Traditions do not have the same quality control as long ago. The Hawken I just finished has a bunch of issues I had to work around. Still have one thing I need to fix with the double set trigger, it is no longer releasing the sear, I need to pull farther on the first trigger to make it fire. This is a new condition since putting everything back together after finishing the stock.
Every set of double triggers I have had for my GPR's require me to futz with them until they wer working well. Hang in there, take your time, you will sort it out. Remember, there are usually (3) seperate adjustment screws that you need to adjust!

As has been said, you can find some decent deals on used T/C Hawkens and Renegades, (Investarms) Lyman Great Plains Rifles, and even Pedersolis, sometimes. I have all of the above and think they are all fine rifles. The T/C rifles were made in USA, the others in Italy. My first Hawken was a CVA St. Louis Hawken made in Spain in the early 1990s (I bought it new). If you can get the opportunity to see, handle (and maybe even shoot) various ones, it will go a long way towards deciding what you like and can afford. Good luck in your search!

Back