Want to build my first sidelock for conicals or go new? What is your thoughts/Suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob L.

Reaction score
I want to purchase or have built a 50 cal percussion sidelock that has the twist for conicals. I'm use to shooting peeps and shaver globes and want a 200 yard sidelock slinging heavy conicals for elk and deer.
I really enjoy shooting the Bullshop 460's out my inline. Im concerned that the 1:48 twist that many sidelocks come with won't shoot conicals well.
Is it best to find an old TC Hawken or Renegade and order a fast twist Rice Barrel? Accuracy and ease of cleaning is big for me. I have never owned a sidelock but do have accuracte inlines.
Traditions Hawken accurate?
Pedersoli Hawken Hunter?
My budget is under $1200 if possible.
Thank you for any suggestions, guidance, etc.
Merry Christmas and God Bless

Hey Bob,
I have two Renegades with 1-28'' twist Green Mountain Barrels. They shoot the 460 Bullshop conicals and 460 No Excuses extremely well. Both barrels like 85 grains of Swiss 2F with a wool wad. You may be hard pressed to find any of the Green Mountain Barrels now a days. Although I do see some come up for sale every now and again.
I have shot the 460's out of my 1-48'' barrels. They shoot fairly well with reduced charges between 60 to 70 grains of powder.
I would not hesitate to purchase a Pendersoli Hawken Hunter. I believe they are a 1-24'' twist. I have read good things about them. The only drawback I read about them is you have to unscrew and take the rear peep sight off each time you break it down to clean the gun.
Lyman for a short while made the Great Plains Hunter Signature Series. It had a 1-24'' twist. I would love to find one of them at a reasonable price for my collection.

I want to purchase or have built a 50 cal percussion sidelock that has the twist for conicals. I'm use to shooting peeps and shaver globes and want a 200 yard sidelock slinging heavy conicals for elk and deer.
I really enjoy shooting the Bullshop 460's out my inline. Im concerned that the 1:48 twist that many sidelocks come with won't shoot conicals well.
Is it best to find an old TC Hawken or Renegade and order a fast twist Rice Barrel? Accuracy and ease of cleaning is big for me. I have never owned a sidelock but do have accuracte inlines.
Pedersoli Hawken Hunter?
I'd pass on the Hawken ,that curved butt plate is a killer (why I only use Renegades) deadly on deer 1-48 for any conicals . Lewis did amazing things in a 1-48 twist with his eye bullet from accurate molds . My 50/54 Renegades are deadly to 200yds (all wear 4x Leupolds my eyes)need scopes! . I also (had) a Sunday go to meeting Renegade ,beautiful skip checkered walnut with a 32 in Rice 1-18 barrel with Lee Shavers venier/globe set up for LR target work ! Not exactly in your price range but a one of a kind none the less shooter , and with that shotgun butt capable of 50-60 rds every Friday 81gr 1 1/2F/under 530 gr Elipticals . /Ed

I’ll second the suggestion about the Renegade or White Mountain carbine stock and a Rice or Hoyt barrel. I also have a Green Mountain LRH carbine on a Renegade stock that shoots the 460 grain bullets ver well albeit at a lower velocity than the longer barrel rifles.

I would like to help you in the data n such. My last .54 Renegade shot maxi's extremely well. I no longer have it. I do have another i got this year, but have not had time to shoot it much let alone work up any loads yet.

Pedersoli Hawken Hunter?
Best advice i can give on a percussion rifle. Do you really want a sidelock ? I have been Buidling an Under-Hammer. You can decide the length of bbl. the O D of bbl. the cal. n twist you really want. I have one in a 1:24 .40 cal for conical bullets. My next bbl will be a .54. That should cover anything I want to hunt. Then i can send several rifles down the road. It's far easier n less space with inter-changeable barrels

I had Bobby Hoyt line a Renegade barrel in .50cal and 1-32 twist to shoot conical bullets. So far I have not shot any conicals but have shot a number of .452 Hornady 300 grain XTP pistol bullets and a sabot with really nice results at 100 yards, a peep sight and 54 year old eyes

Latest posts

Back