Muzzle Loading Shotgun??????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer bill

Reaction score
I recently acquired a traditions in line 12 gauge muzzle loading shotgun in exchange for some labor. It is my first muzzle loader and I cannot find much information on it. Traditions doesn't have any information about it on their website and most things I have found online is for older style shotguns.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of gun? I'm interested in what loads would work in this gun. What do people hunt with these? I do a fair amount of waterfowl hunting so can I use steel shot in this gun? I have read some online about shooting a patched round ball out of a smooth bore. What kind of accuracy can I expect if I try this? Would it have enough power to take down a whitetail? I hunt in an area without much trees so my shots will probably be around 100 yards.

Before this shotgun kind of fell into my lap I was looking at getting a 50 cal. If I decided to sell this shotgun to get a rifle what is this shotgun worth? My gunsmith said he has never seen one before and he couldn't give me a price off the top of his head but he said he'll let me know. Someone on here probably could give me a better estimate. From what I can tell it has never been fired.

I owned one for a number of years. Used it for turkey hunting a few times. Mossberg choke tubes fit it.
I had a volume measure for it. I think that 1oz. Of shot and about 80 grains of 2f Goex black powder was a good load.

Most shotguns are used for small game or wild turkey, including muzzleloader shotguns. I seriously doubt you will get 100 yd accuracy from one. 50 yds would be more likely with patched round ball.
I'd have concerns using steel shot unless cleared by the gunsmith.
Can you post a pic of your shotgun? Never knew traditions made one!

Here are some pictures. It sounds like I won't use this very much. I'll probably put it up on the classifieds forum once I meet the criteria to do so.

Attachments

• gun1.jpg
    gun1.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 41
  • gun2.jpg
    gun2.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 39
  • gun3.jpg
    gun3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 37
Yup, I had the same thing except mine had the wood stock. Looks like it's in good shape. Do you have the breech plug tool?
You could probably get a couple hundred bucks for it.

Ya I have the breach plug tool and it has a full choke and I have the choke tool for it to.

They're a lot of fun to shoot clay birds with, but some of us can't afford to keep one around for fun...

You'll need over-powder wads, shot, and over-shot cards as well as a shot/powder dipper. The wads and cards are needed to keep everything where it belongs. The shot/powder dipper is used to measure both shot and powder; equal volumes of both. The 80gr load is about max and powers a 1-1/4oz load as I recall.

You drop the powder, ram home an over-powder wad, drop the shot, ram home an over-shot wad, cap the nipple and you're ready to go. Cards and wads can be found at Dixie Gun Works. Stick with lead shot until a gunsmith tells you steel is OK. My TC barrel is lead only.

Keep looking for a good .50 if you want to hunt deer beyond 50 yds.

Good Luck!

Back