Muzzleloader restrictions by state

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a resource that helps find this out or would I need to go to individual state game websites to find out?

I'm keen to start building points in another state or two so I can hunt USA a handful of times in the next decade or so. Currently I'm building points for deer, antelope and elk in WY.

I'd love to hunt sheep and moose but don't have the money to go down that path. In my lifetime I really want to hunt elk, mule deer, whitetail, antelope, black bear and a dream of mine is a mountain lion but I've heard that's an incredibly hard endeavour.

My state in Aus has very simple, albeit not overly science based restrictions.

20201217_085144.jpg

Washington has changed. Enclosed actions and .modern primers are now allowed

If you want to hunt moose. Maine is a good place for out of staters to get drawn. You will want the September bull hunt. Aroostook county!
Nit Wit

Well. Here in the Bay State(Massachusetts) the following applies to the muzzleloading deer season. Also in this state there is no Sunday hunting except for game birds on private hunting preserves.

PRIMITIVE FIREARMS STAMP: Required to hunt deer during the primitive firearms deer season

During the Primitive Firearms Season, all deer hunters must comply with the 500 square inch blaze orange requirement.

Primitive Firearms Season: Dec. 14 – Dec. 31, 2020

PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Shoulder-fired muzzleloaders .44 caliber to .775 caliber; barrel length 18 inches or more with only one barrel operational. Inline ignition systems are permitted providing the firearm loads from the muzzle. Single projectile only (no buckshot). Sabot rounds, 209 primers, break/hinge-action muzzleloaders, and scopes are permitted. Powder limited to black powder or black powder substitutes. A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when cap or pan powder is removed.

That is pretty much it.

Well. Here in the Bay State(Massachusetts) the following applies to the muzzleloading deer season. Also in this state there is no Sunday hunting except for game birds on private hunting preserves.

PRIMITIVE FIREARMS STAMP: Required to hunt deer during the primitive firearms deer season

During the Primitive Firearms Season, all deer hunters must comply with the 500 square inch blaze orange requirement.

Primitive Firearms Season: Dec. 14 – Dec. 31, 2020

PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Shoulder-fired muzzleloaders .44 caliber to .775 caliber; barrel length 18 inches or more with only one barrel operational. Inline ignition systems are permitted providing the firearm loads from the muzzle. Single projectile only (no buckshot). Sabot rounds, 209 primers, break/hinge-action muzzleloaders, and scopes are permitted. Powder limited to black powder or black powder substitutes. A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when cap or pan powder is removed.

That is pretty much it.

We have to buy a “Muzzleloader Permit” in order to Hunt with a Muzzleloader, as well as Archery, Another Chicken 💩 Way of getting 20 more dollars out of Ya

Maryland is the same way. We are required to buy additional stamps for muzzleloader and archery. You are also required to buy a fur bearer permit if you plan on shooting a fox, racoon or any other such varmint.

We have to buy a “Muzzleloader Permit” in order to Hunt with a Muzzleloader, as well as Archery, Another Chicken 💩 Way of getting 20 more dollars out of Ya
You know Lew Washington is so "F"d up , we used to be able to hunt all weapon seasons. Now we have to pick our choice and NO other. Remember those days? $20.00 is worth it to follow the seasons. When I am able to move(taking care of elderly parent) I'll be paying it.

Firearms/ML tag is the same tag and you can take upto 2 deer excluding the "bonus deer" counties which you can take all the does you want if you buy more tags. Only 1 antlered deer though total.
Archery is its own tag

We also have conservation area hunts that DONT count against your seasonal tag limits. You can apply for 1 hunt a year. You get preference point each year you are not drawn. You can apply for these hunts in upto groups of 4 or 5 and pool your points. Most of those hunts have no ML restrictions other than the state regs. Archery/Firearms/Primitive/Youth type hunts are all offered and in some really good hunting spots. We even had our first "elk lottery" this year. They had 5 tags up for grabs.

https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-announces-five-hunters-drawn-elk-permits

Last edited:
You know Lew Washington is so "F"d up , we used to be able to hunt all weapon seasons. Now we have to pick our choice and NO other. Remember those days? $20.00 is worth it to follow the seasons. When I am able to move(taking care of elderly parent) I'll be paying it.

I know exactly what you mean, I spent 38 years over there, Moving here to Idaho was the BEST decision I had ever made. Sadly, We are Growing here now as well, And i mean at an ALARMING rate. Things SURE have changed here in the last 5 years, It’s starting to Remind me of over there, We are right on those heels. Oh well, is what it is

I know exactly what you mean, I spent 38 years over there, Moving here to Idaho was the BEST decision I had ever made. Sadly, We are Growing here now as well, And i mean at an ALARMING rate. Things SURE have changed here in the last 5 years, It’s starting to Remind me of over there, We are right on those heels. Oh well, is what it is

We're growing in my area here too, which is fine except it is city people moving into the country areas of ours and bringing their ideals with them. Ironically the same ideals they were trying to escape from in the city.

Do you need to buy a rifle permit too? Seems like a bit of a rort.

Nope, Not for centerfire, Just Archery & Muzzleloader, They are 20 Bucks a Piece. Rort is a good word for it :lewis: like i said above, it’s just another way for Fish & Game to Profit. It’s a JOKE

We're growing in my area here too, which is fine except it is city people moving into the country areas of ours and bringing their ideals with them. Ironically the same ideals they were trying to escape from in the city.

EXACTLY the same here! We are literally FLOODED with California. And typical of City type Dwellers, ESPECIALLY California, They bring their Political 💩 With em. They act like they want to live the Suddle Country Lifestyle, But it isn’t ANY time and they Start trying to Change this Place in to EXACTLY where they came from. They are DESPISED here by Locals

EXACTLY the same here! We are literally FLOODED with California. And typical of City type Dwellers, ESPECIALLY California, They bring their Political 💩 With em. They act like they want to live the Suddle Country Lifestyle, But it isn’t ANY time and they Start trying to Change this Place in to EXACTLY where they came from. They are DESPISED here by Locals
I live in rural Illinois 100 miles from Chicago they are constantly coming here for the country living. THEY bring their drug and politics here and expect us to change OUR lifestyle.

Oklahoma has a lot to offer. Whitetail, mule deer, black bear, elk, antelope. Rio's and eastern wild turkeys. Wild hogs too.
The trick is to get the permits on state land or landowner permission.

Fortunately the muzzleloader stamp is $ 5.10 . Muzzleloaders are quite popular in Massachusetts because of the restrictive gun laws in this state.

If you want to hunt with a modern long arm you need an FID card. This can be revoked for felony convictions and domestic violence misdemeanors as well as a restraining order. Also a drunk driving arrest is considered a felony because the penalty can go beyond one year in jail on paper. So a lot of people lost their LTC's and FID's. So the recourse to hunt is archery or muzzleloader.

Latest posts

Back