My 8 year olds first deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underclocked

Reaction score
My 8 year old son successfully completed his hunter education course three weekends ago and did very well in the class. He has gone out with me for the last two years and has been wanting to be able to get a license. With his certificate in hand we bought him his youth license in Indiana which has a special weekend season which was Sept 26th & 27th. 
We went down to Hoosier National Forest to camp and hunt for the special season. He was using a CVA Apex with the Slufoot conversion using 33 grains of IMR4759, harvester light blue sabot, Knight 200 grain bloodline, and Winchester 209 primer. He had been shooting great groups at the range at 100 yards and was ready. The first morning we were in the stand and he was getting a little restless after 2.5 hours when a doe came in behind us and was milling around. He had to turn and face the tree and get setup to shoot got by the wrong way. He got setup and set off the charge and shot over her back at 25 yards!  Clean miss and it stuck around a little bit but we couldn't get reloaded before she took off. He looked up a bit as he was shooting to get a peek to see if he hit her. 
Luckily we had another day to hunt and the same deer came in at the same time from the same area. This time she came in quicker and hit our scent from where we walked I and got a little nervous. She circled around us which allowed us to get the rifle ready and make the shot. This time his aim was true and he hammered both front shoulders as instructed in the class. Short distance covered and she was down. I filmed the hunt for him and once I get it figured out on how to post I will. But for now here is a picture. 
image_zpswgps0bxd.jpeg

Great going Dad, Who had the biggest smile, Your son did a great job, and great shot on her. :cheers: :cheers:

Dave

Congrats on his first harvest! I bet he was shaking like a leaf when that first one came by! Great shot placement as well. He'll remember this one for life.

Good for him .. and you. He remembered his training and scored. Nothing better. :Red tup:

That's a proud moment!!  Congrats to your son, great shot placement too!

Here is the video that I shot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qje5qVKMYSE
It was very nerve racking not to be the shooter!  The thing that I took away the most from the experience is how much I take for granted the experiences I have had in the woods for the last 20 years.  I thought he was never going to get the rifle up and ready or cock the hammer.  Luckily the Doe decided to turn and come back across us for an easy broadside 25 yard shot.

Great video.  Even though she spotted you I don't think she smelled you guys, that's why after a complete circle she didn't bolt out of there.  Good job!

:cheers: Congrats to your young hunter for his first deer and his first successful MJer harvest. :Red tup:  ( it's quite the accomplishment for such a young age! ). 
 i'm sure there will be more hunting trip to come. ;)

Congrats to the young man on harvesting his first deer.

Another great story of a father and son, the kind we like to hear! Of course we like the stories about daughters too!

I see what you mean about waiting for what seemed like an eternity for Seth to take the shot. I was watching it saying "shoot, Shoot!" just like Troy on Swamp People. "CHOOT IT!"

We got lucky it was a 1 1/2 year old Doe and not a wise old deer. On the Doe the day before he was sitting looking forward ready and she stayed behind us for 5-10 minutes before I had him turn around and shoot. He felt like the deer was too close to get the rifle ready. He didn't bring it up until she was blocked by the 2 trees and green leaves towards the end. Then you hear him cock the hammer when she is broadside a few seconds before the shot.

Congrats to your son and to you, That is great trophy, and i know he loves that Apex. great shooting and great deer. :D

Thanks Carlos, without your help and knowledge it would not have happened. He does love the Apex and I might have to hand it over and build a 700 sml.

Congrats to your son's first harvest..he one proud boy right now and so is dad...when it comes time to have some to eat..you will hear his story again...

Congrats to son and dad for a great time together and a first harvest together

After that weekend's hunt we came home and put the quarters in the freezer and headed to Wyoming for an Antelope hunt. We got back on Sunday evening and we did bag a Doe and we hit a prairie dog town with the .243 Winchester. He made a 186 yard shot from the bipod!  We had a great time together and stopped by Mt Rushmore along the way. 
Thank you everyone that has passed on congratulations to Wyatt. I shared this post with him and he was amazed. He has really enjoyed the start to this years season. We are going bow hunting in 2 weekends so another adventure awaits.

Latest posts

Back