My Hand-tie Salmon Flies...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you VERY much flashpoint for your compliment.
The Yellow Duster photo is directly from my visual-reference fly-tying archive. Let me go back and find my tying notes on material used and see if I have what it takes to tie you one-up. If I don't have the materials at hand I will at least post the ingredients. This pattern can be tied on a variety of hook sizes. What hook type and size did you have in mind?

Marty, whatever size that you think is appropriate to fish that fly for Salmon. I know the sizes I tie for trout are way too small. Would 3-1/2 to 4" be too long? Not sure how big Salmon flies are? Also, please, don't go out and go to the expense to buy all new materials. I know those flies use a lot. If you don't have the stuff, I might have some of it here I could send up?
Thanks. FP

Marty, whatever size that you think is appropriate to fish that fly for Salmon. I know the sizes I tie for trout are way too small. Would 3-1/2 to 4" be too long? Not sure how big Salmon flies are? Also, please, don't go out and go to the expense to buy all new materials. I know those flies use a lot. If you don't have the stuff, I might have some of it here I could send up?
Thanks. FP
Sorry:( flashpoint, but I don’t have all the necessary materials for that particular fly… and my tying tool kit is still buried:rolleyes: in storage from two years ago. However, I did find my notes and here’s what I used to tie my YELLOW DUSTER. ( Depending on the hook type/size and my use of hollow buck hair, I may or may not weigh this fly with copper wire wrapping underneath the black body. )

TAIL: Dyed-red bucktail;
BODY: Black yarn:
RIBBING: Silver tinsel;
THROAT: Dyed-red bucktail;
WING: Dyed-yellow (cape hackle) feathers;
CHEEK: Jungle Cock eyes;
TOPPING: Peacock Herl;
HEAD: Black thread with optional painted white eye.

I’ve caught small salmon using this fly trolling with lead-core line. No lakers to date trolling with this particular fly pattern, but stocked stream rainbows seem to like it alot using traditional fly gear.

p.s. :) If you're just looking to frame one of my flies, here's what I can do. How about a print? Since my original photos are high-pixel digital I can enlarge the YELLOW DUSTER to fit whatever frame you have in mind. Matt or glossy. All I would ask from you would be to cover shipping cost and the cost to have it professional printed. Just send me an PM and we can go over details if this option is of interest.

Back