My new 700ml Smokeless conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a suggestion for you, since I have built several of these rifles in my shop.

Do not dryfire the rifle without a primer module in the bolt head. It has a tendency to loosen the bolt head and push it forward.
Guess how I know this fact? I found out the hard way.
I have started tacking the bolt head to the bolt body with a TIG welder because of this problem.

Nice rifle. It will be a deer hammer.

With the right load, you should be able to shoot a 275 grain bullet over 3,000 fps.
Do you continue to build these ? TIA

kzimmermann, that is one purdy build! I like the way he chucked the barrel. With mine, I also used pieces of wood in the magazine slot prior to bedding, and one cannot tell it was ever there.

I built two back when it was possible to order barrels from PacNor and McGowen for 700ML's. (I guess you can still order from McGowen.) The 28" PN barreled .458 has a Boyd's Pro-Varmint stock and the other has the Classic. Personal opinion....I do like the Pro-Varmint better, both on the bench and in the field.

I added weight to it with a mercury recoil reducer and it has a Simm's recoil pad. Even at 13.4#, my speed launch limit is 2850fps with 275gr bullets. Any more than that, the ol' flinch factor starts showing its ugly face.

45 caliber Douglas 1-22 Twist barrel, with a shank diam. of 1.125, using Arrowhead breech plug and ignition modules made for the Rem 700 ML.

The action is a new experimental prototype meant to replace the Rem 700ML and Savage 10ML actions. It has a Rem. 700 footprint to allow use of Rem 700 stocks and triggers.

300 grain Parker BE with 110 grains of Acc4064. It produced good velocity with a fairly low pressure, based on the QuickLoad prediction. The group is no record, but under 1 MOA at 300 Yards.

Attachments

• 45 Douglas Group 300 gr 110 gr Ac4064.jpg
    45 Douglas Group 300 gr 110 gr Ac4064.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 300 gr Speer .451 110 Ac4064 .png
    300 gr Speer .451 110 Ac4064 .png
    265.6 KB · Views: 0
45 caliber Douglas 1-22 Twist barrel, with a shank diam. of 1.125, using Arrowhead breech plug and ignition modules made for the Rem 700 ML.

The action is a new experimental prototype meant to replace the Rem 700ML and Savage 10ML actions. It has a Rem. 700 footprint to allow use of Rem 700 stocks and triggers.
Please post a picture of the Action.

Please post a picture of the Action.

The scope bases are those for the Ruger American Rifle. (Because of the round top.)

The trigger on it now is a Rem 700 ML trigger.

The cam produces a rearward travel of about 3/16" when you lift the bolt handle. (No more stuck modules.)

The bolt has a built-in slot for the LRMP modules.

The cam-pin is much improved with a diameter of almost 5/16".

The rifle pictured weighs about 13 pounds. I decided yesterday to put a brake on it.

Attachments

• New ML Action 1.jpg
    New ML Action 1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • New ML Action 2.jpg
    New ML Action 2.jpg
  • New ML Action cam.jpg
    New ML Action cam.jpg
  • New ML Action Rifle.jpg
    New ML Action Rifle.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 1
Please post some pictures of the Bolt out of the gun.
The round Disk on the muzzlebrake helps reduce the shock waves effect on the shooter. It keeps you from feeling like you have been slapped when the rifle is fired. The first one I made was for a 50 BMG rifle. It made a big difference to the shooter.

I am thinking about designating it as the RemSav710 ML action. That name gives credit to the two companies that produced great muzzleloader actions. I also greatly appreciate the fact that Savage was the first company to produce a factory smokeless muzzleloader.

Attachments

• New ML Action bolt.jpg
    New ML Action bolt.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • MuzzleBrake with Blastshield.jpg
    MuzzleBrake with Blastshield.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
:topic:

I would start a new thread on smokeless muzzleloader actions. I always enjoy reading posts on the latest and greatest but I felt like this turned from a posting on Kzimmermann's very nice build into an ad.
You are correct. Kzimmermann has a beautiful rifle. Nobody should take anything away from that fact.

Latest posts

Back