My new Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Mol

Reaction score
O'kay guys, I finally bought a stainless laminated Omega. I would like to get this gun hunt ready within the next few weeks for whitetail, so I'm planning to stick with pellets for now and eventually during the off season, I'll fine tune it with loose powder.

What do you guys suggest? I'm thinking, 2-50gr. Triple 777 ffg pellets, 250 grain shockwave(superglide?) and Triple 7 primers, swabbing between shots to zero in. BTW, I have a 2-7 Leupold Vari-x-II, taken off one of my centerfires I don't use too often.

I'm aware of the crud ring problem, so the advice obtained on this forum to swab between shots is well noted, but can I load a quick second shot easily enough during a hunting situation if needed? Maybe the superglide shockwave is the way to go.

Thanks

When swabbing between shots don't be over aggressive. When you get down in the crud ring area take real short strokes to break through it. Its not hard to get your ramrod stuck if you go in too fast. Been there done that. :oops:

J.Mol

Congrats on the new Omega...

I would suggest you use pre-prepared regular blue windex patches for swabbing while at the range.... Windex just melts T7...

100 grains of T7 is a very good place to start - that is what I use and I have been shooting my Omega for 3/4 years now, but I do use T7-2f loose - so I am developing a little more pressure than you will with the pellets...

"Crud Ring" - some do some do not - I do not know why I do not but I get so little it is insignifcant... I can easily shoot 3/4 rounds if necessary, but i do use a 25ACP ignition system.

Remember that MMP makes a slim sabot called a MMP HPH-3p-EZ load and harvester makes the "crush rib" I have never used the SST/SW bullets - to expensive for me but I do believe they are good bullets... I really should not have said "to expensive" because I end shooting Nosler Partitions for hunting...

Here is the way I make my patches...

WinPatch.jpg

100grs of powder is about right for dialing her in! :) My friend used 100grs. Pyrodex in his Omega,with a T/C packaged 240gr. XTP pistol bullet. Last year he shot a buck at 118yds. The bullet went through the lungs,heart,and exited on the off side almost cutting the front left leg off. Pretty impressive performance! :) This year I hunted with 3 50gr. Pyrodex pellets,in the Pro Hiunter with a 250 Shock Wave bullet. This gun seems to have a prefrence for Pyrodex. It still shoots T7 pellets,and loose powder well too! It just shoots the Pyrodex a little better,and no crud ring to deal with! :) Reguardless of what powder I use,the gun allways gets a through cleaning after use,so one powder being more likley to cause rust as compared to another is a Non issue. For a quick start the 100gr. loads are pretty hard to beat, to get you on target,and into the field hunting. Ron

Thanks guys. BTW, what kind of scope base and rings are recommended?

J.Mol said:
Thanks guys. BTW, what kind of scope base and rings are recommended?

EASILY my favorite is the one piece Warne Maxima base with Maxima QD rings.

Thanks, I found the answer to my question right after I posted it.

Great idea !

I am shooting 777 pellets and have been using the TC presaturated cleaning patches but am going to make up a batch of these.

sabotloader said:
J.Mol

Congrats on the new Omega...

I would suggest you use pre-prepared regular blue windex patches for swabbing while at the range.... Windex just melts T7...

100 grains of T7 is a very good place to start - that is what I use and I have been shooting my Omega for 3/4 years now, but I do use T7-2f loose - so I am developing a little more pressure than you will with the pellets...

"Crud Ring" - some do some do not - I do not know why I do not but I get so little it is insignifcant... I can easily shoot 3/4 rounds if necessary, but i do use a 25ACP ignition system.

Remember that MMP makes a slim sabot called a MMP HPH-3p-EZ load and harvester makes the "crush rib" I have never used the SST/SW bullets - to expensive for me but I do believe they are good bullets... I really should not have said "to expensive" because I end shooting Nosler Partitions for hunting...

Here is the way I make my patches...

WinPatch.jpg

Congrats. on getting your Omega. That will make you a good muzzleloader. :yeah:

CONGRATS ON THE NEW TOY

I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY WITH THAT LOAD.

GOOD LUCK & SAFE SHOOTING

RON G.

BruinFlinter

Normally but not always the TC patches are to wet... and I think you'll find that the windex patch cleans better.... In fact I would bet you after shooting 4 windex patches both side the 4th one will come out almost clean.

Latest posts

Back