My Small Engine Equipment Quit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It started week before last when the 19 year old edger quit.   Last week the 30 year old roto tiller quit and the transmission went out of the 19 year old riding mower quit.  Now the three year old weed eater won't run right.   Have to use the heavy brush saw with a weed eater spool.   

Got a new riding mower and a small roto tiller.   The edger will not be replaced.   Will get a new weed eater soon. 

The enemy of small engines is gasohol.   i won't use the stuff anymore. 

Dang:  Forgot about that little used Husqvarna chain saw that quit running three years ago.

Ethanol in gas will make the carbs of those small engines gum up in just a month or two. I only use marine non-ethanol gas in my mower, chain saws and outboard motors.

falcon said:
It started week before last when the 19 year old edger quit.   Last week the 30 year old roto tiller quit and the transmission went out of the 19 year old riding mower quit.  Now the three year old weed eater won't run right.   Have to use the heavy brush saw with a weed eater spool.   

Got a new riding mower and a small roto tiller.   The edger will not be replaced.   Will get a new weed eater soon. 

The enemy of small engines is gasohol.   i won't use the stuff anymore. 

Dang:  Forgot about that little used Husqvarna chain saw that quit running three years ago.
They just don't make them like they use to falcon. Damn now everything is made in another country ... :evil:   :roll:   :afro:

patocazador said:
Ethanol in gas will make the carbs of those small engines gum up in just a month or two. I only use marine non-ethanol gas in my mower, chain saws and outboard motors.
Most small engine shops sell a fuel additive because of the gumming of Ethanol, I bought a can and figured another false claim, then forgot to drain the small trimmer engine. Figured it will be another cleaning needed, tried it and it started on the second pull after sitting all winter, same with the mower.

I'm impressed with these little 4 cycle overhead value motors we see on outdoor power equipment resently. They are available on about anything we use today, snow blowers, edgers, trimmers, small mowers. They have fast throttle response and good rpms. Being an old mechanic I enjoy looking at or repairing these little guys, nice engineering. :Red tup:

"Being an old mechanic I enjoy looking at or repairing these little guys, nice engineering."

The mechanics around here charge no less than $100 to clean out a gummed-up carburetor. They usually just squirt it with ether and run some new gas in it and tell you they had to rebuild the carb.

I hate small engines. Jets are always plugging up on an artifact atv.  Chain saws are another problem.

When coming home from East Asia in the early 60's I ran the family power outdoor equipment shop, you name it we fixed it.

Had learned to weld fine (small) items and items of different materials. It wasn't long until we were involved in repairing broken or old iron pieces for Valley Forge Park. The hardest piece was rebuilding a broken hinge on a jewelry or small item box - really small (later we were told it had belonged to George Washington's personal collection). I didn't believe them and the following Sunday went to Valley Forge (about 12-13 miles away), damn it was in the collection of his wares.

After that those restoration folks were in the shop several times a month, they got upset when they were informed I closed for the first week of fishing season, first week of deer and bear seasons. Had to hire another mechanic to cover as I was tied up with baby sitting the historical societies in the area for several years.

I own several small engines.  One Honda 4 stroke on my lawnmower, one 4 stroke on my generator, one 2 stroke on my weed-eater, and five 2 strokes (gasoline, not nitro) on model airplanes.  They all respond well to a few oz of RXP in the supply tank along with the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil.  The RXP will keep the combustion chamber clean and the Sta-Bil will ensure the gas stays fresh preventing crap in the carb (along with an in-line fuel filter).  The only trouble I've had is remembering to add the additives when refilling the supply tanks.  (duh) 

The only time I've had to rebuild a carb was on a two stroke airplane engine before I started using RXP and Sta-Bil. 

BTW ....carb kits are available on-line for very little money and the carbs are a breeze to rebuild.  (eg. A complete kit for a 2 stroke Walbro type carb is around $10 - $12 or less)  Instructions are readily available on-line.

PS.  I have no financial interest in any of these products.  I use and recommend them because they work well for me.

I've been told that 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol works as good as Sta-Bil and it's a lot cheaper. I don't know if it's true or not.

PRI-G works excellent. Use that in all bulk fuel for winter use. Its a little pricey but way better than anything else we've tried.

patocazador said:
I've been told that 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol works as good as Sta-Bil and it's a lot cheaper. I don't know if it's true or not.
I've never heard about alcohol vs. Sta-Bil but, I can personally attest that RXP works great in a gasoline engine.  If your car or truck has trouble passing an emissions test, put a bottle of RXP in it and run about 1/2 a tank through and take it back.  It should pass with flying colors providing all of the factory equipment is working as designed. 
I try to run a bottle or two through my cars and trucks approx. every 6 months to keep the combustion chambers clean and the gas mileage at optimum.

rowdyjoe said:
I can personally attest that RXP works great in a gasoline engine.  If your car or truck has trouble passing an emissions test, put a bottle of RXP in it and run about 1/2 a tank through and take it back.  It should pass with flying colors providing all of the factory equipment is working as designed. 
I try to run a bottle or two through my cars and trucks approx. every 6 months to keep the combustion chambers clean and the gas mileage at optimum.
Good idea Joe. :Red tup:

My fuel is delivered to the ranch in bulk with Star Tron. They tell me there is no need to add Stable for storage when using Star Tron or any Heet additive. No problems since I started using Startron.

All small engines from ATV's down including 2 cycle get Premium gas with NO ETHANOL. Between 3-5 tanks of fuel they get a shot of Sea Foam.

Did the jobber give me a bum steer on Star Tron?

John

Latest posts

Back