my trees are my babies

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
behind(east) of my deck  i planted a row of black pine. they are about 3 ft apart and now 7 to 8 ft. tall and 3 inches in diam at the base. some dam deer totally destroyed one of them. ripped it all apart and broke it off at the base. most likely a big buck. dang near destroyed a nice young flowering crab apple two years ago but it came back. each one of my trees and bushes are my babies, i hate those deer.

I hate when that happens! Lost some aspens that were actually growing, to a buck used them to scratch on and broke them in half. Its hard as hell getting grass to grow here, let alone trees.

if i could see him, yes, but they come in the middle of the night. i think i will have my son set up one of his trail cams in the yard, maybe he can get a better buck in the yard than on the ranches he hunts. as to grass, you and i are in the same type of climate. try buffalo grass. it is very expensive but if you water it to get it a going it will grow where all other grasses wont. mix a little dutch white clover with it, its cheap, it will help get it started.

ok, back again. frontiergander. heres the trees that will grow where you are. water them to get them started, then they will set roots and grow well them selves. sunburst locust, it is a good one and looks nice, hard to kill. pondarosa pine, or also called black pine. austrian pine which is related to black pine. white flowering crab apple tree. cedar or juniper trees. will grow but kill all or most of your fruit trees. if you want trees, dont plant colarado blue spruce, hard to get started, some will make it but most dont. then their is a very slow growing one that always makes it and looks the best of them all. black hill spruce. grows about a foot a year but what a tree. big bussy and very very hardy. when you and i are up in this high and dry country, these have a chance. i love the linden tre, wont grow in the country, only in town. the catalpa is another good one, grows in town but hard to get going in the country. love the big cotton woods, dont even try it unless you live in a bottom spot fed by a spring and your soil is wet by it self all the time. for the yard again, sunburst locust, they can survive and do well where other locust tree fail. for a fruit that will grow and even spred is bali pie cherry. if you get them on other root stock they wont spread but if you get them on their own root stock they will spread. i got them all over the place and they produce over a few weeks a very nice pie cherry. good for eating fresh also. their is a pear also common to colarado, forget the name, very hardy and grow well and produces well. very good eating also. hope i helped you on you homestead.

Living up here in Northern MN we have lots of trees growing but I still like to plant different pine, birch, maple, mountain ash and others. Living along Lake Superior surprisingly gives us a lake effect that makes for a zone 4 growing season which means I can plant fruit trees with good success. Have several good producing eating apples. Past couple years I put in another 15 apples, few pear, cherry, and peach. The peach is only good for -30 degrees so will have to see how that does. I have to fence off all the fruit trees to keep the deer and bear away until they get big enough to hold their own.

I planted some White Pine and Plums. Thinking of planting some Cedars along our road. I know it is Bad Luck but I think my Heavenly Father is much stronger than Superstition.

Planted bunch of Trees on our Farm before I sold it. Feel like I abandoned them.

oneshot

its not a superstition. cedar and juniper carry a virus that kill most types of fruit trees. again, its not superstition, it is science.

strong eagle said:
its not a superstition. cedar and juniper carry a virus that kill most types of fruit trees. again, its not superstition, it is science.
It is Superstition if you Transplant Cedar that by the time it is big enough to shade your grave you will die.

Got thousands of Cedars around this place so a few along the road won't make no difference as Fruit Trees are concerned.

Oh also don't rebuild where a Home has burnt or it will have the same fate.

oneshot

local saying that are interesting. i have a few from up north also, all mine come from the native americans.

When a weeping willow's branches reach the ground the person who planted it will die.

Never say thank you for a living thing given as a gift.

wow, lots of things to tie a mans life in a knot. the bible is my source, not saying it isnt for you, just i keep my life very very simple. the only thing i go with is when a golden eagle or a bald eagle swoops down in front of your path, if your driving or just out side walking, that day will be a very very good day. i believe the Holy Spirit can make a eagle do this just to let me know God is blessing me extra special that day. i always just thank God the father and let it happen. so far my ash trees with all the stuff that kill them are doing ok. they started from some lawn clippings i got from the local graveyard with ash seeds in it. now this is getting way off subject but what the hey. my son works for the city of gordon ne during the summer and on christmas vacation. his main job when needed is digging the graves for someone who has passed. he is really good with a machine that digs graves. he has done 20 or more in his time working their. sometimes his friends call him gravedigger johnson. their are worse names to be called. as to trees again, next spring im going to put in about 30 or more russian olives. they will go in a old squash garden patch. have about 3 layers of mulch black plastic with lots of holes their for squash seeds in them. this year the holes will get russian olive seedlings. will make a good spot to bringing in game birds to nest and hide out. their is fench out their also and 3 years ago i planted two wild grape vines and they will go 150 ft. and produce very heavy soon. really make good grape jelly.

Russian Olive is Illegal to plant here because it is considered Invasive. 

I use to dig Graves by hand.

oneshot

it is invasive, that just means it grows very well here also. along the rivers here it can be invasive but up here in the sandhills it is still planted in shelterbelts. its a sure thing to grow for shelter for wildlife. the olives can be used to make jelly. crown vetch is considered invasive also but ive planted a lot of it on my place to keep the weeds down. by the way, has to be another skunk sleeping under some of my buildings again. got to keep checking the deck at night with my s and w victory loaded and ready to go on the table. it stinks around the yard again.

I'm having problem killing Bush Honeysuckle on my place. Cut it and immediately spray it with herbicide. 

oneshot

Latest posts

Back