My under hammer build, bout done

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron Long of "Long Locks" built me a three barrel (interchangeable) underhammer years ago, (.40 cal., .58 cal. and a 20 gauge shotgun) won some major matches that year with this gun. Then Ron built several more, we controlled the mid western states matches until they made a special class for underhammers. And outlawed them for several of the national matches, we were told to shoot your own matches.

Just like a lot of idiots. If you beat them they will outlaw your gun. Underhammers have been arould as long as side hammer guns. Some of these people that run these shoots are really STUPID and mostly ignorent about muzzle loaders. And a lot of them are at FRIENDSHIP

Since I'm a lefty, my first impression of the underhammer muzzleloader oddity was actually fascinating. From what little I know, I find no reason to exclude them from the traditional muzzleloader community.

Since I'm a lefty, my first impression of the underhammer muzzleloader oddity was actually fascinating. From what little I know, I find noreason to exclude them from the traditional muzzleloader community.
You are correct. They are traditional

I have always loved underhammars, have owned - bought - traded and sold these guns for years. An old friend Ron Long got me started with them years ago.

Read this story and look at his quality of arms: https://underhammers.blogspot.com/
R.J. Renner (Roger) is a talent building of the best quality available.

TGW-8.jpg

time.moves.jpg

Last edited:
Since I'm a lefty, my first impression of the underhammer muzzleloader oddity was actually fascinating. From what little I know, I find no reason to exclude them from the traditional muzzleloader community.
Marty, it is difficult for a south paw to find a muzzle loader for the lefty and then a mighty hefty price. I agree, under hammer is a good choice and should be allowed as traditional.

Marty, it is difficult for a south paw to find a muzzle loader for the lefty and then a mighty hefty price. I agree, under hammer is a good choice and should be allowed as traditional.

time.moves.jpg

I'm building my second UH with a orig H&A Numrich OEM 50 cal barrel. Pecatonica fitting it to their H&A action, Doug does great work. This will make 4 UHs I have. I'll never be as tough as the old mountain men so all I want to do is hunt with mine not live like one. I think UHs are the best choice ( for me anyway) I'm looking at a .62 SB switch for this project also. The key to staying young is staying busy!

I'm building my second UH with a orig H&A Numrich OEM 50 cal barrel. Pecatonica fitting it to their H&A action, Doug does great work. This will make 4 UHs I have. I'll never be as tough as the old mountain men so all I want to do is hunt with mine not live like one. I think UHs are the best choice ( for me anyway) I'm looking at a .62 SB switch for this project also. The key to staying young is staying busy!

The Allen underhammer from Pecatonica has tangs for the stock and internal hammer spring.

The Allen underhammer from Pecatonica has tangs for the stock and internal hammer spring.
Sounds like more inletting, cost more, hell, they both break when you fall on them LOL

Attachments

• P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    654.4 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    659.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    628.8 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    653.1 KB · Views: 6
Ron Long of "Long Locks" built me a three barrel (interchangeable) underhammer years ago, (.40 cal., .58 cal. and a 20 gauge shotgun) won some major matches that year with this gun. Then Ron built several more, we controlled the mid western states matches until they made a special class for underhammers. And outlawed them for several of the national matches, we were told to shoot your own matches.

Can you please message me. I recently acquired several sets of underhammer castings from a friend, he got them from Ron Long. I'm going to attempt to figure them out but I have no information other than the castings. My friend that I got them from only saw one of the rifles put together by Ron back in the early 80s. Hoping to ask some questions or get ahold of some pictures.
Thanks

That is one sweet looking rifle, Trader. Nice work!

On my second H&A under hammer since the 70's, both .45's. Like many popular M/L's, they're not a repo of anything, but suit my needs. Interesting to hear folks bash non reproductions who see no problem with coil springs and obviously modern sights, etc. One good thing about the H&A's is fast, reliable ignition.

Daresay if they went into production with the many options available over the years, I, for one, would load up this time. Buggy rifle, extra barrels etc...Yup.

On my second H&A under hammer since the 70's, both .45's. Like many popular M/L's, they're not a repo of anything, but suit my needs. Interesting to hear folks bash non reproductions who see no problem with coil springs and obviously modern sights, etc. One good thing about the H&A's is fast, reliable ignition.

Daresay if they went into production with the many options available over the years, I, for one, would load up this time. Buggy rifle, extra barrels etc...Yup.
I be right wid cha, i am hoping my kit will get here early next week. The Pecatonica shop is about 250 miles North of me.

Latest posts

Back