MY versatile dog

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

With the thread concerning NAVHDA and versatile dogs I thought I'd post a pic of mine. Avalon's All Riled UP (aka. Reilly) at 5 1/2 months. He's a Wire-haired Pointing Griffon.

Picture1421.jpg

From the IP, I believe this is quackmaster4. I forgot to set the pemissions for this topic when I created it. :oops: Fixed now.

Great looking pup QM4!!! Are you training him for NAVHDA natural ability test???

Yes, I'm trying. He has a great nose. He can scent trail, and water retrieve great. He just sees no reason to stop and point when he smells that bird in front of him. He has a handicap; trainer deficiency' but I'm doing my best.

Sounds exactly like my perdicament. "Trainer deficiency" is a serious handicap. How are you practicing scent trailing? I should be starting this at the next training clinic. My pup smells the bird we put out for him pretty far away and when he gets close we have to "build the point" with a check cord. Last weekend was the first weekend we shot a bird over him. He wasn't to crazy about a warm dead bird in his mouth either. He has no problem retrieving dead birds that I keep in the freezer though. I was excited and disappointed at the same time. My buddy says I'm too hard on the dog and I enter into a super serious robot like mode when in the field with him. I need to chill out and I think he'll do better...

What kind of birds did he not like, sometimes feathers come out and its irritating to the mouth, and how old is the pup Does he have all his adult teeth? Dogs can sense when trainers get excited They are quite smart.
Redclub

It was a quail and I think that is exactly why he wasn't crazy about carrying it. It was leaving alot of feathers in his mouth. He's 7 mo. old and I'm pretty sure he has all of his adult teeth. It sure feels like he does when he's chewing on my hand or arm or leg or foot or whatever apendage he can get his jaws around :eek:

I can't really say I put alot of effort into scent trailing; he just does. He can follow a quail around a field fairly easily. Waterwork has come a little harder. I can send him on a retrieve, but if a water skipper swims in front of him he takes off after that. :lol: I also tend to get a little worked up when he does good for awhile, then goes haywire. I have also been told that he can sense frustration, and I think it just makes him more nervous. He does however have a slightly longer attention span than my 16yr old. We'll get there.

VENISONEATR said:
My buddy says I'm too hard on the dog and I enter into a super serious robot like mode when in the field with him. I need to chill out and I think he'll do better...

If it's no FUN anymore, your both in trouble :( I don't have your kind of dog but, I use pigeons. On a tether, wings clipped, in the yard. Just let him play with that bird till it's dead. He'll come around real fast! Just my .02 worth. :)

Some dogs don't like doves because they lose feathers so fast. If the dog has enough drive and gets enough experience, it won't bother them after a while. If training (or a session) stops being fun for either of you (trainer or pup) it's time to stop and play again another day. Glad to hear the progress reports!

At 7 months old it should be all fun stuff most dogs at that age still have a short attention span. However its getting close to serious stuff. Give your dog a hug.
Redclub

Back