My weather predictor

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
This animal is called a weather glass and we've had it for maybe 6 years. I had to fill it again this morning since this spring's weather has been so gentle....tongue in cheek here guys. Anyway, as storms approach the barometric pressures rises ahead of them putting pressure on the water in the bulb and forcing water up the spout. The higher the water in the spout, the tighter I need to hold on. The water was about 2/3 of the way up the spout when I filled it so someone was getting weather again today.

I've never seen this thing fail, even when the tv weather people predict otherwise. I've always been fascinated by weather and I am a registered storm spotter for the National Weather Service. I also do water sampling for our state's environmental agency and take daily rain measurements for yet another state agency. I've been saving my change for a couple years to purchase a home weather station and the one I want is getting pretty close to reality. Since I have had this little weather glass hanging in the house its amazing how accurate it is in predicting weather events, especially rain and snow storms. It'll be fun to see how it stands up against some technology but right now my money is on this little piece of glass.

eMopcLC.jpg

Hey Tom,

What do you fill it with, just water with a little food coloring? I saw one of those once and had no idea what it really was. I have been thinking of getting something small/cheap :roll: to watch the pressure, was looking at digital read out stuff. Some days can be rough as some of my joints will complain a lot when the weather changes, so it would be nice to "see" it coming. :lol:

Water with a tiny bit of food color is what's in this one. These are strictly an indoor item as the glass is quite thin and ice would make a mess of it in a heartbeat. This one, filled to the level shown in the picture will react to pressure shifts that are very small and for a couple days in advance.

These have been around for a couple hundred years but finding an older one can be tough. I've seen some newer ones but haven't bought into one yet. The one in the picture is from the 40's-50's era according to the printed material that came with it.

This thing got a workout yesterday. Woke up to snow, then shoveled 3" at 1030 in the morning. Then I got to watch another 5-6" build by evening. The water in the tube was up/down as more intense cells of the storm passed.

We had 3in of rain yesterday 65degrees, woke up this morning to 1 in of snow and 25degrees. COME ON SPRING!

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

We set a new low "high" temp for today here. And it sounds like Friday, Sunday and again on Monday we are going to enjoy MORE winter...aka snow. This will get old in a hurry especially after being down to grass and dirt two days ago.

MrTom said:
We set a new low "high" temp for today here. And it sounds like Friday, Sunday and again on Monday we are going to enjoy MORE winter...aka snow. This will get old in a hurry especially after being down to grass and dirt two days ago.

Your Weather Glass is really neat looking!

A Weather Glass would go nuts here LOL! We are finally seeing typical Spring weather, it’s raining now, won’t surprise me if it turns back n forth to snow. Snow in Town has finally gone, there might be a Wheel Barrow load left in my backyard. It sure is nice when Spring shows itself. I moved here from the Wa Coast, the weather from there to here is Night n Day different. Here in North Idaho we have true seasons, winters are FAR FAR harsher here than on the Wa Coast. My only regret is not moving here 30 years ago

Latest posts

Back