my wife had a real adventure today.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
my wife and 4 other female friends went tubing for 25 miles on the local sand hill river.water is pure and clear and no deeper than 3 feet and flows fast. pure clean sand bottom. i told her to watch out for rattle snakes and of course a huge 5 to 6 ft diamond back rattle snake came out of the weeds along the shore and swam close to them crossing the river. my wife saw it first and started screaming and so did the rest of the women. it was close to them and huge and it really scared them. then two women who were sisters got drunk and fell in. my wife is a former life guard and jumped in and directed what the others should do and they all got them back in the tubes but almost didnt. the two sisters were too drunk to help and almost drowned. then one of the sisters fell in again and again almost drowned. i knew when she left this morning it wasnt going to be a normal day and it wasnt. the people in canoes who when by them said thanks for the snake warning to my wife for they heard her scream snake way back from the women. the two sisters were drinking vodka and were not used to it. they couldnt stand on land when they got ashore let alone stand or swim in the water. lucky the three women in the tubes were sober. these two sisters also fought and argued alot during the trip. snakes are abundant along that river and are usually big diamond backs. dont think i will be able to top this true story for awhile and really hope i cant.

Them Rattlesnakes get me excited. We have Timber Rattlers here and I never seen a small one.

Go by the river here in Summer it is wall to wall Canoes, Rafts and Tubes. Lots of drinking and nudity. They even have one weekend just mostly Homosexuals.

oneshot

you made me laugh oneshot, those naked gays had better watch out, might get bit in a bad place.

my wife had a real adventure 

When you read just the topic line, I thought "poor lady never saw it coming when she hooked up with you pal"  :lol!:

my wife and i agree, dont want anything like that to happen again. my son went to state with his baseball team. did well. he is all done with baseball in nebraska now. will play for s.dak state and will be with the big boys now. he is a fast learner. a tremendous outfielder. he can throw that ball to any base from the outfield. hitting has to improve, but it will. has a pretty good curve ball also. wife has been gone alot recently but i do well cooking for my self. man am i getting addicted to that riding mower. yard looks better than ever. feel like a rich man.

If there was a good thing about rattlesnakes, it's they warn you by rattling a large percentage of the time. If they are cold they can hit you without warning, when warm laying on rocks they get real loud. The family farm was referred to as "Rattlesnake Haven" for a 100 years and before being homesteaded in the 1870's. I lived there for over 20 years killing rattlers daily for probably 10 years, finally settling down to a few in the spring or fall. We would cook the meat, tan the hides and save the rattles (shoe boxes full). I use to get asked "why did you decide to clean them out" I would reply "no one else would". You would get some strange looks ....

Now cottonmouths are a different story, they have a different sneaky mind set.  Remember in "Lonesome Dove" when the cottonmouths came across the river rolled up in a ball and hit the horse and rider. That's for real not Hollywood folks. We were on the Missouri River near the Mississippi when we had a roll of cottonmouths come off the bank almost into our canoe. That scared the crap out of us and I beat the crap out of them with my paddle while several other members shot them with shot out of tradeguns. No-one got bite and we killed everyone of the snakes in that roll. That was the worst moment I have ever had killing snakes.

thanks for that, it was very full of information. when i was on my last tour of duty in norfork va. a person their was water skiing on the james river. he got into some shallow water that was full of water moccocins. (sp) he got bit more times than they could count. he died right away. around here their are two ways to die by critters. snakebite of buffalo. lots of natives get bit on the rez. most dont die but once in a while one cant be saved. the buffalo is another story. it is never the locals that die by buffalo, it is the north easterners that visit here. they leave their brains behind when they come west and want to pet a buffalo. would anyone want to pet a dairy bull, dairy bulls are really really mean, well buffalo are meaner. the north easterners dont get hurt, they die. i was raised in n.dak. their was a story i read that happened in northern n.dak in the early 1900/s a bull buffalo crossed from canada and went through a pasture with a dairy shorthorn bull in it. well they locked horns and pushed. they even dug a small trench for pushing each other. no one could pull them apart. this went on for 3 or 4 days with out the short horn or the buffalo giving up. they were even bleed out of their noses for lung injury. finally a bunch of farmers and ranchers pulled them apart. the buffalo went back to canada and the shorthorn was king of his pasture. if you and i had even a drop of the testosterone those two critters had, our wives would be smiling all the time or kick us out. also in texas about the early 1900/s a man set up a event in a bull fighting ring. a small bull buffalo against fighting bulls. well it was a flop, when the bull buffalo entered the ring with several fighting bulls the fighting bulls got out of the ring as fast as they could any way they could. the bull buffalo went straight for them and they soon knew who was boss that day. the biggest bull buffalo i ever saw was on a little used trail way back into the rez. he was huge, mean and very mad. he was 100 yards away and throwing dirt every wheres. he charged a small butte head on. we got out of their fast. i later saw a native fixing fence. he said it was his and he was just going to let him live out his life and not let anyone shoot him. he would have go top dollar for him but he just wanted the bull to be alone in peace. he was huge and much bigger than the biggest bull ive seen in the black hills on federal land. animals are still with us. i love minn. and may move back their. dont swim nude men when you are up in a northern lake of minn.  you dont want a 50 lb. muskie thinking your johnson is a bait fish. oh yes, 5 miles from my place a trail cam saw 6 mountain lions in one group.

I have a little experience with being around buffalo too, outfitting for buffalo hunts and killing my own and ones for guys that can't keep them on the ground.

buff3.jpg
 THE FIRST SHOT WAS AT 85 YARDS, THE SECOND GUN CAME INTO PLAY AT 40 YARDS WITH THE BULL CHARGING ME.

buff7.jpg
HERE ANOTHER BULL WALKED IN AND WAS EYEING ME UP - DROPPED HIM TOO.

buffhu10.jpg
SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO MAKE A SECOND AT CLOSE RANGE.

buff2.jpg
YOU DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO END THE KILL.
buff4.jpg
END RESULT.

Back