"Mystery " Lube & Hawken day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
"Mystery " Lube & Hawken day

Well, Ray has dubbed it, Mystery lube because I can not say whats in it. But I borrowed my brothers CVA Hawken .50cal 1:48 twist and headed out to 50 yards to give it hell.

90gr Pyrodex Select
.490" round balls
.020" patches
"Mystery" Lube
CCI <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> Caps

No swabbing was even needed during the shoot.

My first patch on a cold clean bore was ripped in half which is typical of this rifle for some reason. This rifle has VERY shallow rifling and with this stiff load, I think it did pretty damn good to the point it actually surprised me. Loads of the past were in the 60 to 70 grains in order to shoot something like this and always with a .015" patch because anything bigger was horrible to load even on a clean bore. The muzzle shows a great deal of wear from years of use.

When you use something all the time you never take notice until you hang it up for a long while and then pull it down and are puzzled by what you see. I think for his birthday I'll buy him a new .54cal barrel to drop into the stock and scrap the .50cal barrel.

But here she is! I am very pleased with the accuracy, lube and how nicely it reloaded.

Very top shot was <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> with the blown patch.

By the way, the blue/orange target is AWESOME if you have a German Silver front sight.
IMG_4975_zpslsq9je4b.jpg

IMG_4978_zpskctc4r74.jpg

Re: "Mystery " Lube & Hawken day

Nice group there partner :!: :!: :!: I hope I have the same luck with your MYSTERY LUBE. I've got to work the range and I hope I can get some shooting in. Can't wait to try this lube out. It has turned my hands from crab claws into some pencil pushers hands. SOFT AND SMOOTH. Hope its this smooth in my barrel.

Ray

careful now Pete. He may slap you with his purse :Hide: :Hide:

:Bat:
Jonathan,
I'll remember your comments tomorrow evening when I post my results of the the MYSTERY LUBE and as far as Pete goes, I've given up on him. He's just a cantankerous old coot.

Ray................ :Scucks:

Careful, that ramrod might give you a splinter in them soft lil hands of yours 8)

Don't split a nail with those Nunchuks Ray.

OK you two Bozo's :!: :!: :!: :!: We'll see tomorrow how the MYSTERY LUBE works out. Jonathan, I'm sure if this stuff is just some stuff, you can sell your lube on the market as some hand, elbow and heel softeners. Pete could go along with you as your shill.

Ray.............. ;)

very true, I was telling Pete that I actually use it on my hands before i go to bed. Working with chemicals and stock finishes, my hands get dried out to the point they crack and bleed. But lets treat our barrels just as good!

Good luck on the range. If it rains, wipe that whole hawken down inside and out and it wont rust up LOL.

8)
That's and idea. :scratch: That would really put it to the test :slaps:

Ray..........

FrontierGander said:
Working with chemicals and stock finishes, my hands get dried out to the point they crack and bleed.
This sounds like a joke but it's true. I love to duck hunt. In the colder weather your hands get dried out and split and crack from being in the water every day wrapping up decoys, cleaning ducks, etc. The only thing that works, other than latex gloves, is Preparation H cream rubbed in good every day.

It really works. Cornhuskers and all those other lotions don't do squat.

I think it will work good...the lube has almost the same properties as coconut oil....solid till rubeed then turns to an oil....

Jon if the lube does not pan out in the gun buisness....make some in pink and green and add a flavor and sell at strip clubs or brothels...call it motion lotion..lol.....

LOL hell i'd make a killing then! Now available through Adam & Eve! :rolling on flo

Just got the hawken all washed up and lubed and put away. Good shootin rifle but damn that rifling is looking worn down. If my brother draws a doe tag it still should be accurate enough to take hunting.

Need a cure for dry cracked hands or feet without using your patch lube?

Like Bob wrote, cornhuskers and other lotions are not good, I have tried them all.

Before going to bed wash your hands in the hottest water you can stand to open pores. Dry and coat with pure raw honey, then put on a pair of cheap cotton gloves. The next morning your hands will be soft as a babies butt. 

John

Latest posts

Back