Barnes sabot loading for .54 Lyman Trade Rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firescout

Reaction score
I've had my .54 Lyman TR (1:48 twist) for over 14 years now, and I have a great 50-100 yd PRB load for it (.530 ball, .015 cotton patch, over 80 gr 2F Goex). In my state, all hunting projectiles must now be non-lead. So I obtained a box of Barnes Expander MZ 325 gr for .54 cal. The only data Barnes lists for loading is for Pyrodex RS. I know 2F Goex and RS are supposed to be volumetric "equals", but I don't like shooting RS in my rifle anymore. I also like shooting T7 3F in my Ruger Old Army, so I got some 2F T7 for the rifle. I've seen quite a few times that T7 should be reduced about 15% from Goex/RS loads. Is that still correct?

Finally, Barnes recommends a velocity range of 1400-1800 fps for the Expander MZ projectiles. Does anybody here have experience with the 325 gr Barnes sabots and recommendations for loads?

I have no help for you with 325 gr bullets. I shoot .45 Hornady .451 230gr sabot combo with 80 gr volume of T7 2F. I do have several hundred cast .451 lead bullets at 350 gr. I just have not tried them with my Harvester red sabots yet !

Thanks for the replies. I reposted this now in the Modern Muzzleloading category. I thought I originally posted it there, but I see it's in the Inline Muzzleloading category now. Maybe a moderator moved it? My .54 Lyman Trade Rifle is a traditional sidelock percussion rifle.

I have a .54 TC Renegade.
I tried the same bullets in the Renegade because Kalifornia said too.
No go.
Gave the bullets away here in this FORUM.

Even Barnes used to recommend a faster twist for the 325gr Expander. I always got the 275s for my 54cals but those are a faster twist than yours too.

I have a .54 TC Renegade.
I tried the same bullets in the Renegade because Kalifornia said too.
No go.
Gave the bullets away here in this FORUM.
What does "no go" mean? Poor accuracy? Unable to push down the barrel? What powders and charges did you try?

I could not seat them with the SABOT.
Maybe there are thinner SABOTs but the ones that came with the Barnes bullets were too tight.

There is no thinner 54x50 sabot. Only MMP made the 54x50 sabots. There is a thinner 54x45 sabot made by Harvester. (loaded OD is smaller)
The red harvesters I got for 54->45 were too tight to load with .451 bullets in them, visibly expanded the sides when the bullet was put into the sabot

Wild, i stuck a Barnes 458 SOCOM in one and shot it from my 54-120...REALLY tight but it loaded and shot great. Liked it so much i shot a nice doe with it too.

So, there are a few things I found on other forums. Many shooters found that polishing their rifle's bore helped quite a bit with reducing the force needed to seat a saboted non-lead bullet. A few used Bore Butter or other lube (I have Precision 2000 for cap-and-ball shooting), to ease the situation. Some shooters reported the Barnes .54 Expander MZ inserted/seated with normal effort in their Hawken-style rifles.

I'm going to polish the bore of my Trade Rifle anyway, as I've done so with a number of my cartridge firearms.

I was mainly inquiring about loading info for Goex and T7 2F powders and the Barnes .54 325 gr. The box has 15 bullets, and I'd like to only need to shoot about 10 or so to find a decent load.

I was mainly inquiring about loading info for Goex and T7 2F powders and the Barnes .54 325 gr. The box has 15 bullets, and I'd like to only need to shoot about 10 or so to find a decent load.

I'd start with about 100 grains of the ffg T7 and that bullet. Maybe 90 grains. Volume measure here.

I'd start with about 100 grains of the ffg T7 and that bullet. Maybe 90 grains. Volume measure here.
That's great- Thanks! My normal load is a .530 PRB over 80 gr of Goex 2F. 120 gr is the max for the data I'm using. I've never tried conicals or sabots in this rifle. I always volume measure my charges.

Back