Need help figuring out a front sight for Knight Disc Elite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
I recently acquired a very good condition Knight Disc Elite .50 cal for an extremely good price. It came with a decent 3-9 x 32 scope on Leopold based, which I've removed since we cannot use scopes here in CA for deer during muzzleloader season. It is my first blackpowder/muzzleloading rifle.

I tried a "See-All" sight this weekend, which has the advantage of just mounting to the weaver style scope base in the rear (and not needing a front sight) and was able to shoot <1" group at 50 yards, but found that at 100 yards the sight just doesn't work well for a hunting application. (FWIW, I think it will be great on my shotgun, so it will probably be moved there).

Anyway, this means I need to get set up with a traditional front/rear sight combo. As some of you may know, the Disc Elite has a tapered barrel and is NOT drilled for front sights and there is no dovetail or anything there on which to mount a sight.

I think I will probably end up with a Williams FP-style sight that attaches directly to the screw holes in the top of the receiver (which will require clearancing for the bolt) or a WGRS style which will sit atop the scope base.

My big challenge is figuring out what to do about a front sight... I am pretty handy, but I do not have precision tools for drilling/tapping/milling, nor do I have experience with gunsmithing. I also do not have any competent smiths in my area that I'd trust with any work like this.

One solution is to send the receiver/barrel to NEGS and just pay them to set everything up. It will likely cost 1.5x what I paid for the entire rifle. Apparently their banded front sight mounts require a gunsmith to install them (I'm not sure why, but that's what they told me).

The option I find more attractive is finding a front sight ramp that will work, and then just using JB Weld to attach it to the front of the barrel and then swapping find a front blade that will match the rear sight I end up choosing. Or maybe sliver solder will work...(?) But there seem to be SOOOO many options!

For what its worth, the OD of the barrel at the muzzle is 0.800" and the taper is consistent at 0.065" every 1" (so that 1" back from the crown it is 0.865" and then at 2" it is 0.930" and so on

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help me narrow down the options I'm considering.

Thanks!

Brent

Ruger 458 #1-H front sight base is .805 ID IIRC. You can buy sight inserts in several sizes from MidwayUSA.

They did make a 458 in SS or blued. The neat thing about the Ruger No 1 front sight base is the sight itself slides forward out of the sight base and is easily changed to taller or lower blades or fibers. The base is held on by a set screw which is under the blade. You don't need to tap the barrel.

IMG_1003_zpsc49a2e30.jpg

GM54-120 said:
They did make a 458 in SS or blued. The neat thing about the Ruger No 1 front sight base is the sight itself slides forward out of the sight base and is easily changed to taller or lower blades or fibers. The base is held on by a set screw which is under the blade. You don't need to tap the barrel.

IMG_1003_zpsc49a2e30.jpg

That looks perfect, and would love that look and the flexibility of swapping commonly available sight blades and beads. The challenge (I think) is that it would have to be stretched (or reamed out) to fit the taper of the Elite's barrel, would it not? This would require a mandrel or lathe and some skill. (the first I definitely don't have, the latter I might).

For example, if the band is 1" wide and I wanted to set it 1" back from the barrel end, it would need to be 0.930" (2" in from the barrel end) at one end and 0.865" at the other end (1" in from the barrel end). Thats 1/8" too small at the end closest to the trigger if my math is correct.

Yes, they do. I talked to them last weekband they have one that will fit, but requires a gunsmith to install because of the taper, I guess.

I think I'm going to be limited to something that I can just glue or solder to the top of the barrel. Maybe a generic "ramp" type with a dovetail like the ruger sight. Thanks

Curious if you found a solution here? Also do most gunsmiths have the ability to drill for front sights?

Back