Need help with dimentions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Okay guys, Many many MANY years ago, my nephew and I built a pretty bad ass lodge out in far back yard. Over the years it has degraded and needs to be torn down. Our stone fireplaces sadly will go down as well.

My nephew and I still like to get together and camp out, so I am going to take a stronger set up but something easy to deal with.

What I have so far is two of the large galvanized fence poles and a single top pole to drape a tarp for a lean to or even an A frame style "tent".

I have a 10x12 canvas tarp to use...

Question is... How high does the center pole have to be off the ground in order to use that 10x12 tarp as an A frame style tent?

a_fram10.jpg

It depends how wide you want the base. 

If you're going to make it 6' wide at the base, then you have an equilateral triangle with a 6' base and each side 6'.  Math solution for the square root of the height is then the square of half the base (3'x3'=9') subtracted from the square of the wall (6'x6'=36'), or the square root of 27'. 

Don't have a calculator handy with square root function, but 5 squared is 25 while 6 squared is 36'. So the square root of 27 is a very few inches over 5'.  I'd be tempted to make the height 5' and spread the base a little over 6' to draw the sides tight.

If you need to see the formula for it check here.

If my memory of geometry classes over 50 years ago is correct, of course!  :scratch:

If you use the 12' side for the width make the center height 4'3". Both sides will be 4'3" from the center.
If you use the 10' side go about 3'6".

-Joe

Latest posts

Back